Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: galupi20 on August 14, 2010, 01:28:22 am
-
Please, I need your help. i.e. : I have a Nef image from my D700 = In PS Image Size 4256 x 2832 pixels. W = 45,04 cm x H = 29,97 cm. Resolution 240 Pixels/inch. I want the final Print Image Size to be W = 60cm to print it
with my Epson 7900 and the final resolution to be 180 or 240. It is only an example, no matter the quality of the print. Just want to learn the workflow.
My question is : 1) All I have to do is change the values of the Width box in Document Size with Resample Image box checked and apply Capture Sharpener workflow after this ?
2) Once in Lightroom 3 in the Print Module ( Print Job ) do I have to " check " and write 180 or 240 ppi or " uncheck " the Print Resolution Box ?
Thanks a lot and sorry for my English.
Luis
-
There are people here much more adept at answering this than me, but there are several things that need clarifying:
1. In your example, upsizing from 40cm to 60cm at 180 ppi (from 240) does not require an up-res. Simply resize the image without the "resample image" box checked.
2. Going from 40cm to 60cm both at 240 does obviously does require up-sizing, but most people would say you do not need to do this. Printing at the native 180 would be ok.
"Capture" sharpening should be applied before you resize, as its name implies. "Output" sharpening is applied after you resize. I recommend the Schewe / Fraser book "Image Sharpening."
Since you have Lightroom, I'm not sure why you want to go through all this. You mentioned this was a NEF image which sounds like you are still working on a RAW image. I would close the document and print from Lightroom. Then you have two simple options. First, under "Guides" check the "show dimensions" box; under "Print Job" uncheck the "Print Resolution" box:
1. With paper size and the cell size the dimensions you want, see what the ppi is. As a general rule, if it is 180 or greater, print away.
2. If you want more, i.e. if the image needs to be upsized, then select/check the "Print Resolution" box and type in what you want.
Much simpler in Lightroom, and the output sharpening is applied on the fly based on your selections in "print sharpening."
Even if you need to go to Photoshop for some post-processing and create a TIFF or psd or something else, the workflow in Lightroom is preferred by many.
Dave
-
Thanks Dave. Let see if I understand :
1) Apply capture Sharpen first.
2) Up-size from 40 to 60cm W with resolution at 180 will be ok.
3) When in Lightroom 3 uncheck Print Resolution box and Print.
Right ?
Thanks again
Luis
-
Luis,
There is no need to do step 2 if you print from Lightroom.
Dave
-
Thanks a lot again Dave.
Luis