Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Geoff Wittig on August 13, 2010, 01:23:39 pm

Title: New forum software
Post by: Geoff Wittig on August 13, 2010, 01:23:39 pm
It may provide benefits down the road, but so far I hate it.
If you type a post that's larger than the initial text field, the characters drop just below the bottom edge of the field and start flickering. You can't see what you're typing. You have to scroll down to see what you typed, and then edit if you messed up. As soon as you try typing to edit, the chacters drop below the edge of the frame again.

Total PITA.
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Rob C on August 13, 2010, 01:39:05 pm
It may provide benefits down the road, but so far I hate it.
If you type a post that's larger than the initial text field, the characters drop just below the bottom edge of the field and start flickering. You can't see what you're typing. You have to scroll down to see what you typed, and then edit if you messed up. As soon as you try typing to edit, the chacters drop below the edge of the frame again.

Total PITA.


Exactly what I reported a day or two ago; welcome to the world of typing blind!

On the other hand, perhaps it's specially designed to muffle long-winded PITA like me.

Rob C
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: mguertin on August 13, 2010, 01:56:11 pm
As I requested previously (in another thread) it would be helpful if you two who are having this issue let me know what browser + version + OS + version you are using.  I can't recreate this issue on any of my test browsers (and there's a lot of them!).  You should be getting a scrollbar on the right side of the textarea.

Thanks
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: deejjjaaaa on August 13, 2010, 03:30:09 pm
can we have in addition to "Show unread posts since last visit." and "Show new replies to your posts." have a link to get the list of all topics where replies were made within last 24 hours (or so) regardless whether they were done since or before the last visit ? thank you...
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: mguertin on August 13, 2010, 04:16:22 pm
can we have in addition to "Show unread posts since last visit." and "Show new replies to your posts." have a link to get the list of all topics where replies were made within last 24 hours (or so) regardless whether they were done since or before the last visit ? thank you...

Please see the note I posted in another thread regarding changes of this nature, the note is here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45440.msg381661#msg381661
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Geoff Wittig on August 13, 2010, 04:19:14 pm
I'm using Internet exporer version 8, on Windows 7.
There is indeed a scrollbar to the right side of the text box, but it doesn't help at all. The text I'm typing always drops just below the bottom edge of the text box as soon as it's full. I can scroll down to see what I just typed, but as soon as I type a new character the active line drops below the bottom edge of the box.
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: mguertin on August 13, 2010, 04:24:15 pm
I'm using Internet exporer version 8, on Windows 7.
There is indeed a scrollbar to the right side of the text box, but it doesn't help at all. The text I'm typing always drops just below the bottom edge of the text box as soon as it's full. I can scroll down to see what I just typed, but as soon as I type a new character the active line drops below the bottom edge of the box.

Hmm ok.  I have an idea what it might be (the spellchecker) .. I've turned that off temporarily.  Can you tell me if it solves the issue?
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Geoff Wittig on August 13, 2010, 07:40:46 pm
That appears to have done the trick, though I must confess that I didn't have sufficient patience to type that much text as a test; just typed in a bunch of gibberish.
Thanks much.
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: mguertin on August 14, 2010, 01:49:30 pm
Great!  Glad it worked out.
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Geoff Wittig on August 17, 2010, 12:39:12 pm
D'oh!
I spoke too soon. Today I tried typing a long post, and the problem is still there. As soon as the text extends to the bottom of the available space, a scroll bar does indeed activate on the right hand side, but the active text once again drops off the screen and starts flickering. I have to type a line, then scroll down to see it and edit the mistakes. It's totally obnoxious.
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 17, 2010, 12:48:35 pm
D'oh!
I spoke too soon. Today I tried typing a long post, and the problem is still there. As soon as the text extends to the bottom of the available space, a scroll bar does indeed activate on the right hand side, but the active text once again drops off the screen and starts flickering. I have to type a line, then scroll down to see it and edit the mistakes. It's totally obnoxious.

Geoff, it's a subtle plan to encourage you to be terse!

If you use Safari, not only does automatic scrolling work perfectly well, you can expand the size of the text box (on a Mac, any any rate).

Jeremy
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: mguertin on August 17, 2010, 02:13:54 pm
D'oh!
I spoke too soon. Today I tried typing a long post, and the problem is still there. As soon as the text extends to the bottom of the available space, a scroll bar does indeed activate on the right hand side, but the active text once again drops off the screen and starts flickering. I have to type a line, then scroll down to see it and edit the mistakes. It's totally obnoxious.

I will investigate further and see if I can replicate and fix, thanks.
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: mguertin on August 17, 2010, 02:28:37 pm
I've made a change, please let me know if it works ok.  The only "fix" to the solution is to force IE8 into IE7 compatibility mode :(  IE8 has some serious issues when dealing with percentages for width and/or height.  Let's hope that they get a lot more things right in IE9!
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 17, 2010, 03:14:33 pm
Two work-arounds that work for me:

1.  When I have a problem like this, I cycle through browsers until I find one that doesn't mess things up. In order, my browser choices are: Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and finally (only in total desperation) IE.

2.  I try to keep my posts short enough so that I never have to encounter the scroll bar at all.  ;D

Eric

P.S. I just experimented adding a bunch of extra lines to this, and my typing line never got lost (in Opera). I then deleted the extra lines.
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Rob C on August 17, 2010, 03:20:18 pm
Nope, Mark, just written to you on the other thread dealing wth the time-change possibility. This still refuses to allow me to type more than the basic lines visible at the start of a new post.

But, as it had been fixed once already, maybe there is a way of making the fix permanent, but let me assure you my computer skills stop at the keyboard; the Olivetti portable typwriter was new technology when I bought it in '66! I still have it; maybe I should start a museum along with my F3...

Thanks for your efforts!

Rob C

PS Seeing Eric's remark re. IE, my system, maybe I can add that to the F3 as well!
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: mguertin on August 17, 2010, 03:44:21 pm
Rob:  Try rebooting your system and then launch the web browser and see if the problem still exists.  It sounds like something is stuck in cache in your system.  It is now working as expected for me in IE8 on my test setup here.
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Nill Toulme on August 17, 2010, 04:05:40 pm
It's working fine on IE8 here.

J
u
s
t

s
c
r
o
l
l
i
n
g

d
o
w
n

t
h
e

b
o
x...

Nill
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Chris_T on August 18, 2010, 08:37:13 am
As I requested previously (in another thread) it would be helpful if you two who are having this issue let me know what browser + version + OS + version you are using.  I can't recreate this issue on any of my test browsers (and there's a lot of them!).  You should be getting a scrollbar on the right side of the textarea.

Thanks


Exactly, as was suggested here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=41252

It would also be helpful to know which "browser + version + OS + version" you have tested to be working and not working.
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Rob C on August 18, 2010, 09:02:30 am
Information regarding computer setup:

1. Windows Internet Explorer

2. Version 8.00.6001.18702

3. Date Modified 08/05/2009


T
e

s
t
i
n
g
 
s
e
e
m
s

t
o

i
n
d
i
c
a
t
e

f
i
x
e
d
.

Await trial in earnest!

Rob C
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Graham Mitchell on August 21, 2010, 05:44:47 pm
Users are being logged out too often/quickly. There doesn't seem to be a 'remember me' option either. Can you fix this?
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: mguertin on August 22, 2010, 02:34:03 pm
Users are being logged out too often/quickly. There doesn't seem to be a 'remember me' option either. Can you fix this?

This has been discussed several times.  See this post:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45440.msg382000#msg382000
Title: Re: New forum software
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on August 22, 2010, 02:52:58 pm
It may provide benefits down the road, but so far I hate it.
If you type a post that's larger than the initial text field, the characters drop just below the bottom edge of the field and start flickering. You can't see what you're typing. You have to scroll down to see what you typed, and then edit if you messed up. As soon as you try typing to edit, the chacters drop below the edge of the frame again.

Total PITA.

Seems to be fixed, on my side at least.