Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: RayGroome on August 08, 2010, 06:10:37 am

Title: Changing Drive Letters
Post by: RayGroome on August 08, 2010, 06:10:37 am
I store all my images on an external drive in about 500 folders under the heading 'My Images'. I have now changed my computer which has adopted a different drive letter for this external drive. I now need to tell LR where all my images are located. When I click on the ? (in the top corner of image) LR asks me for the new location. When I respond to this it corrects the record for that image and all the other images in that folder.
I then need to repeat this exercise for all 500 folders!. Is there a better way of doing this, please? (In this particular case I do not wish to change the drive letters allocated by the computer).

Ray Groome
Title: Changing Drive Letters
Post by: Steve Weldon on August 08, 2010, 06:32:13 am
Quote from: RayGroome
I store all my images on an external drive in about 500 folders under the heading 'My Images'. I have now changed my computer which has adopted a different drive letter for this external drive. I now need to tell LR where all my images are located. When I click on the ? (in the top corner of image) LR asks me for the new location. When I respond to this it corrects the record for that image and all the other images in that folder.
I then need to repeat this exercise for all 500 folders!. Is there a better way of doing this, please? (In this particular case I do not wish to change the drive letters allocated by the computer).

Ray Groome
You have several choices..

1.  Simply change the drive letter of your external drive to match.  (recommended)  If using Windows.. type in "computer management" in your startup menu search bar.. choose it.. then "drive management" and from there I'm sure you can figure out how to change your drive letter.

2.  Re-import the entire catalog..
Title: Changing Drive Letters
Post by: tommm on August 08, 2010, 08:17:40 am
or you could just right click on one of the folders (in lightroom) and choose add parent folder and then point lightroom to find that one, which will then find all the others.