Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: MirekElsner on August 06, 2010, 10:28:07 pm

Title: How areuntagged images displayed in Photoshop?
Post by: MirekElsner on August 06, 2010, 10:28:07 pm
I am wondering what Photoshop does with untagged images that are opened with option Don't color manage selected.

If such image is displayed in PS, is what I see on the display first recalculated using the monitor profile or are the RGB values sent to the monitor untouched?

Thanks!
Title: How areuntagged images displayed in Photoshop?
Post by: Czornyj on August 07, 2010, 07:30:26 am
Quote from: MirekElsner
I am wondering what Photoshop does with untagged images that are opened with option Don't color manage selected.

If such image is displayed in PS, is what I see on the display first recalculated using the monitor profile or are the RGB values sent to the monitor untouched?

Thanks!

It uses the color space that is set as default working space in Color Settings
Title: How areuntagged images displayed in Photoshop?
Post by: terrywyse on August 07, 2010, 11:40:23 am
Quote from: MirekElsner
I am wondering what Photoshop does with untagged images that are opened with option Don't color manage selected.

If such image is displayed in PS, is what I see on the display first recalculated using the monitor profile or are the RGB values sent to the monitor untouched?

As Czornyj stated, the default RGB working space profile in your Color Settings essentially gets assigned to the image until you tag it properly. Since opening an untagged image is a "risky" proposition, I generally recommend that the default RGB working space be set to sRGB so as to "safely" assign sRGB to unknown/untagged images (there's a better-than-even chance than an untagged image is sRGB anyway).  For images that have proper embedded profiles (AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB, etc.), the fact that sRGB is the default working space means nothing, assuming you have your color settings set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles" of course.

Regards,
Terry
Title: How areuntagged images displayed in Photoshop?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on August 09, 2010, 03:47:56 am
Quote from: MirekElsner
I am wondering what Photoshop does with untagged images that are opened with option Don't color manage selected.

If such image is displayed in PS, is what I see on the display first recalculated using the monitor profile or are the RGB values sent to the monitor untouched?

Thanks!

What Terry advises is correct. An addition could be that I can not recall a Photoshop version that didn't assign a working color space to an untagged image, even when Color Management was  switched off. Hard to see the logic of that decision. I used other programs with their CM off to check the RGB values in target images. That worked. Like they give easier workflows to print the untagged targets for profile creation.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html (http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html)

Title: How areuntagged images displayed in Photoshop?
Post by: Czornyj on August 09, 2010, 04:53:34 am
Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
What Terry advises is correct. An addition could be that I can not recall a Photoshop version that didn't assign a working color space to an untagged image, even when Color Management was  switched off. Hard to see the logic of that decision. I used other programs with their CM off to check the RGB values in target images. That worked. Like they give easier workflows to print the untagged targets for profile creation.

You can use View>Proof Setup>Monitor RGB option to display the image in monitor color space with preserved RGB numbers, so it's really not that difficult.