Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Jim-St on August 05, 2010, 02:22:19 pm

Title: LR3 Catalog Renaming Question
Post by: Jim-St on August 05, 2010, 02:22:19 pm
A dumb question, I guess, so apologies in advance...

Just installed LR3 demo and followed Jeff Schewe's anti-crufting way to import my old LR2 catalog.

But now I find LR3 is running from something it's named "Lightroom 2 Catalog-2.lrcat". It's also created a couple of other files which it's named:
Lightroom 2 Catalog-2 Previews.lrdata
Lightroom 2 Catalog-2.lrcat-journal
Lightroom 2 Catalog-2.lrcat.lock

Can I just rename "Lightroom 2 Catalog-2.lrcat" as "Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat" in the Finder and assume that when I open it it will create new Previews, -journal and .lock files? Then I can delete all the older ones (i.e. the above list), right??

I'd like to keep LR2 and LR3 running in tandem for a few days until I get used to LR3, so any advice on the naming issue will be welcome

TIA

Jim
Title: LR3 Catalog Renaming Question
Post by: tommm on August 05, 2010, 03:04:29 pm
Hi Jim,

You can rename the Lightroom 2 Catalogue-2.lrcat file and same with the previews file but you'll need to redirect lightroom to them when you next open it (it'll ask you - just follow the instructions).

The other two files are just temporary files created whilst lightroom is open.

Tom
Title: LR3 Catalog Renaming Question
Post by: Jim-St on August 05, 2010, 03:09:26 pm
Hi Tom

Thanks for that! Easy when you know how!!

All the best

Jim