Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: DuncanAndison on August 01, 2010, 05:09:09 pm
-
Hi there, I have lurked around here for a little while before signing up taking the step of.... first post :-)
Anyway, my name is Duncan, from the UK and into climbing, mountain biking and photography of course. I guess my interest in photography took off about a couple of years back and enjoying the experience but so much to learn. Risk analyst by trade so this is quite a bit different to the day job.
Anyway, as always, looking to learn as much as possible from people around here and so far bowled over by the quality of the images here.... a little intimidating but here is my first shot for you. It was taken from the Dom Planika hut in Slovenia and captures a lone climber making his way up the north ridge to the summit of Triglav. I was watching the guy for a while and when he decided to rest up placing his knee on the rock, it formed a triangle shape with his legs that seemed to mirror and compliment the ridges.
Anyway, thanks for looking
(http://www.takenfromthetop.com/Images/Large/Alps/KGS_0007.jpg)
-
Amazing place and very well portrayed!
-
Amazing place and very well portrayed!
I agree!
And welcome to the forum.
Eric
-
Yup, nicely done indeed. I like the format and the repeating pattern of the rocks, interspersed with the mist or clouds. The climber seems almost an afterthought, appearing not where you'd expect him to be.
And welcome to the list too!
Mike.
-
Amazing place and very well portrayed!
I agree - well spotted, well taken and welcome.
If I have one suggestion, it's to crop a bit off the left, where the distant and faint mountain starts to rise again. You'd then have only the three arcs downwards and to the left, which (to my eye) would be more pleasing.
Jeremy
-
Welcome Duncan and bravo for this stunning image.
-
I agree - well spotted, well taken and welcome.
If I have one suggestion, it's to crop a bit off the left, where the distant and faint mountain starts to rise again. You'd then have only the three arcs downwards and to the left, which (to my eye) would be more pleasing.
Jeremy
Thank you for the feedback and advice..... I had bit play around with it and I have now taken a little from the left and a touch off the top. I think it does look more balanced, the bitt of the end was not adding anything significant to the photo.
Thanks
Duncan
-
Yup, nicely done indeed. I like the format and the repeating pattern of the rocks, interspersed with the mist or clouds. The climber seems almost an afterthought, appearing not where you'd expect him to be.
And welcome to the list too!
Mike.
Thank you. The positioning of the climber was one of those gut reaction decisions. The overall idea was to try and show how small we are against the mass of the mountain but also to capture the feeling of exposure and adventure into the unknown. Keeping the open space behind comes from the feeling when I go scrambling, you always feel a little tense even venerable when there is a large amount of air / open space behind you and you can't see the bottom, is it a 100 feet or 5000 feet to the bottom. I guess if you slipped it wouldn't really matter but the higher it is the more adrenalin seems to flow.... I could of course be over thinking this all together
Thanks to everyone else as well for your kind words, it's really appreciated.
Duncan
-
Gorgeous! I especially love steep rocky mountains in clouds. (I end up taking a lot of photos of those myself...) I love the composition, with the three layers of rock with fog between, and the climber puts the icing on the cake!
Lisa
-
I agree - well spotted, well taken and welcome.
If I have one suggestion, it's to crop a bit off the left, where the distant and faint mountain starts to rise again. You'd then have only the three arcs downwards and to the left, which (to my eye) would be more pleasing.
Jeremy
Funny you should mention that. When I first looked at the image I saw it as square, and began my reply with 'I like the square format'. Then I looked again and realized it wasn't square at all. I guess my brain had removed that bit from the left. Still, it's great as is.
Mike.
-
Thank you for the feedback and advice..... I had bit play around with it and I have now taken a little from the left and a touch off the top. I think it does look more balanced, the bitt of the end was not adding anything significant to the photo.
Thanks
Duncan
It's now as close to perfect as anything I can manage (which is a slightly back-handed compliment, now I come to think of it, but well intended).
Jeremy
-
Funny you should mention that. When I first looked at the image I saw it as square, and began my reply with 'I like the square format'. Then I looked again and realized it wasn't square at all. I guess my brain had removed that bit from the left. Still, it's great as is.
Mike.
I know the feeling..... I looked at it for so long with different crops I wasn't sure what was what cheers
It's now as close to perfect as anything I can manage (which is a slightly back-handed compliment, now I come to think of it, but well intended).
Jeremy
no worries..... thanks for the pointers.... cheers