Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: D. King on July 22, 2010, 12:28:56 am

Title: Not quite an upgrade
Post by: D. King on July 22, 2010, 12:28:56 am
I'm running LR 2.  My kids gave me LR 3 as a gift but it's not the upgrade version.  Is there anything I need to be aware of when I install it or will it act like a normal upgrade?  

Thanks
Title: Not quite an upgrade
Post by: ErikKaffehr on July 22, 2010, 12:59:11 am
Hi,

Pretty sure you just install it. I think there is only one version and only the serial numbers differ.

BR
Erik Kaffehr

Quote from: D. King
I'm running LR 2.  My kids gave me LR 3 as a gift but it's not the upgrade version.  Is there anything I need to be aware of when I install it or will it act like a normal upgrade?  

Thanks
Title: Not quite an upgrade
Post by: pegelli on July 22, 2010, 02:00:15 am
I'm sure there is no technical problem, but would your kids be willing and able to exchange it for the upgrade version? Saves about 200 $ that can be spent on something else (I leave the negotiation for who to you   )
Title: Not quite an upgrade
Post by: D. King on July 22, 2010, 07:07:20 pm
Thanks, gents.
Title: Not quite an upgrade
Post by: wolfnowl on July 22, 2010, 10:14:52 pm
I installed the LR3 Beta 1 and Beta 2 before the final version came out and had no problems running LR2 and LR3 - although they can't be run at the same time.  I have the full LR3 version now and LR2 still runs fine.

Mike.

P.S.  You should definitely look into the upgrade for the $200 though.  If you provide Adobe with your LR2 serial number and your LR3 serial number maybe they can give you a rebate?
Title: Not quite an upgrade
Post by: jjj on July 23, 2010, 06:13:22 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
I installed the LR3 Beta 1 and Beta 2 before the final version came out and had no problems running LR2 and LR3 - although they can't be run at the same time.
You can run them both at the same time. What you cannot do is have two versions/copies of LR open the same catalogue.
Title: Not quite an upgrade
Post by: dgberg on July 24, 2010, 09:41:36 am
Quote from: jjj
You can run them both at the same time. What you cannot do is have two versions/copies of LR open the same catalogue.

Which brings up another question. (Sorry no intent to hijack the thread.)
I was thinking of adding 2 iMac's in my gallery for my workshops.
Both with CS5 and LR3 installed.
Only loading images for the students to work on,no catalogs.
Will the 3 computers with the above mentioned programs work at the same time? My Mac Pro and the 2 iMac's.
Title: Not quite an upgrade
Post by: BobFisher on July 24, 2010, 01:16:48 pm
LR doesn't install over an older version.  It's a separate install.  The previous version will still be available on your system.  The 'upgrade' is only related to pricing.  It's not like upgrading your OS.

That said, if they can exchange and get you the upgrade pricing, that'd be good.
Title: Not quite an upgrade
Post by: wolfnowl on July 25, 2010, 08:29:13 pm
Quote from: jjj
You can run them both at the same time. What you cannot do is have two versions/copies of LR open the same catalogue.
On the Mac, maybe, but not in Windows.  I have LR3 and LR2.7 running under Windows 7.  Obviously one is a LR3 catalog, and the other opens an LR2 catalog.  If I start LR3 and then try to open LR2, it won't start.  Ditto the reverse.  If I open LR2 then minimize it and go to open LR3, it simply pops up the LR2 program again.  It's always been like that for me.

Mike.

My apologies  for getting away from the original question!