Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Ed Blagden on July 21, 2010, 05:20:41 pm

Title: Birth
Post by: Ed Blagden on July 21, 2010, 05:20:41 pm
Another tourist shot...

[attachment=23261:_MG_2773.jpg]

Title: Birth
Post by: wolfnowl on July 21, 2010, 11:01:50 pm
Nice shot.  Even better if you still have the top of your scalp!

Mike.
Title: Birth
Post by: Justan on July 23, 2010, 09:24:32 am
I like this one.

I would darken parts of the image a tad. It could be due to the jpg conversion but the egg shell is a little blown out and the background area is a bit distracting.

But in the department of rare and entirely cool moments this scores well.
Title: Birth
Post by: Ed Blagden on July 23, 2010, 03:43:24 pm
Quote from: wolfnowl
Nice shot.  Even better if you still have the top of your scalp!

Mike.
It took me a moment to work that comment out!  Yes, I am still in possession of my scalp.  The mother was there but seemed fairly relaxed... I was on a boat and not quite within baby-snatching range (using a 300mm +1.4x = 420mm lens).

Quote from: Justan
I like this one.

I would darken parts of the image a tad. It could be due to the jpg conversion but the egg shell is a little blown out and the background area is a bit distracting.

But in the department of rare and entirely cool moments this scores well.
Gosh, you are right.  I hadn't noticed the shell.  Actually the shell is not blown according to the histogram in LR but is close.  Here is another version with the shell slightly darkened, a small crop to take away some of the background, and a little vignette.

[attachment=23289:EB_2773.jpg]

Yes the moment was rare and very cool.  The cherry on the cake was that I was with my children when we saw this and I suspect this will be etched in their memory for some time.

Ed

Title: Birth
Post by: Justan on July 24, 2010, 01:23:37 am
Subtle but good improvements. The fine tuning is always the most difficult.

I went to our local annual big name artist arts and crafts show this evening. There were photographers there from as far south as New Mexico (unfortunately not Bill T), as far east as Montana and several from the north, some from CA and some local. It was really good to see so much first rate work in one area. A few were really standouts. Someone at the show did bird themes. Your work here would have fit in beautifully with their work.
Title: Birth
Post by: mahleu on July 24, 2010, 05:30:15 am
I thought it was an odd name for a baby till I opened the thread...