Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: jwhee0615 on July 17, 2010, 05:09:42 pm

Title: Bloated Light room Folder
Post by: jwhee0615 on July 17, 2010, 05:09:42 pm
My Light room folder containing the preview and catalog files has now grown to nearly 23GB! I have gone from LR1 to LR3 over the years and the folder contains many files related to all versions. Are there some file I can dump now as this is taking a great deal of time when backing up my documents folder? Is there a way to purge old preview folders? Thanks for any info.

Jeff



Title: Bloated Light room Folder
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 17, 2010, 06:09:10 pm
Quote from: jwhee0615
My Light room folder containing the preview and catalog files has now grown to nearly 23GB! I have gone from LR1 to LR3 over the years and the folder contains many files related to all versions. Are there some file I can dump now as this is taking a great deal of time when backing up my documents folder? Is there a way to purge old preview folders? Thanks for any info.

Jeff
I think you can delete the preview folder, if you like. LR will rebuild previews as required: it may take some time, though, depending on your machine.

Deleting the catalog files is probably a bad idea, though.

Jeremy
Title: Bloated Light room Folder
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on July 17, 2010, 08:04:31 pm
Quote from: jwhee0615
My Light room folder containing the preview and catalog files has now grown to nearly 23GB! I have gone from LR1 to LR3 over the years and the folder contains many files related to all versions. Are there some file I can dump now as this is taking a great deal of time when backing up my documents folder? Is there a way to purge old preview folders? Thanks for any info.

Jeff
You might want to check and see how much space your back ups are taking.  I believe LR makes a fresh back up every time and does not delete any of the older ones.  If you are backing up daily this amounts to a lot of dead space.  I was surprised when I migrated my LR files to a new computer.  Worth a try.

Alan
Title: Bloated Light room Folder
Post by: David Hufford on July 17, 2010, 09:17:27 pm
Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
You might want to check and see how much space your back ups are taking.  I believe LR makes a fresh back up every time and does not delete any of the older ones.  If you are backing up daily this amounts to a lot of dead space.  I was surprised when I migrated my LR files to a new computer.  Worth a try.

Alan

Yes, it does create fresh backups each time and leaves the old. If for some reason you want to keep all of the old backups, you can compress them and save tons of space. Or, simply delete the older ones. I have with no problems.
Title: Bloated Light room Folder
Post by: wolfnowl on July 17, 2010, 11:44:02 pm
This might be of interest to you...

http://www.wolfnowl.com/2010/05/deleting-o...htroom-backups/ (http://www.wolfnowl.com/2010/05/deleting-old-lightroom-backups/)

Mike.
Title: Bloated Light room Folder
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 18, 2010, 03:20:32 am
Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
You might want to check and see how much space your back ups are taking.  I believe LR makes a fresh back up every time and does not delete any of the older ones.  If you are backing up daily this amounts to a lot of dead space.  I was surprised when I migrated my LR files to a new computer.  Worth a try.

Alan
If you're using a Mac, it's trivial to write a folder action script that will keep say 10 backups, deleting the old ones as new ones are made.

Jeremy
Title: Bloated Light room Folder
Post by: JRSmit on July 18, 2010, 04:26:09 am
Quote from: jwhee0615
My Light room folder containing the preview and catalog files has now grown to nearly 23GB! I have gone from LR1 to LR3 over the years and the folder contains many files related to all versions. Are there some file I can dump now as this is taking a great deal of time when backing up my documents folder? Is there a way to purge old preview folders? Thanks for any info.

Jeff
What is the problem? How many images do you have in your catalogue? Previews take up some space. My previews folder size has grown even bigger.
It does not harm the performance, they can be deleted and will be recreated by LR when you view images in library mode, or when you explicitly ask LR to do so.
However there is no need to do so, if there are no issues.
The catalog itself is a database, stored as a file with the extension "lrcat". That file is not big in size, and is the one file you should not delete.

Title: Bloated Light room Folder
Post by: jwhee0615 on July 18, 2010, 06:44:05 pm
Quote from: JRSmit
What is the problem? How many images do you have in your catalogue? Previews take up some space. My previews folder size has grown even bigger.
It does not harm the performance, they can be deleted and will be recreated by LR when you view images in library mode, or when you explicitly ask LR to do so.
However there is no need to do so, if there are no issues.
The catalog itself is a database, stored as a file with the extension "lrcat". That file is not big in size, and is the one file you should not delete.

The problem is that I believe there are duplicate preview folders for the different versions of Light room that I have had installed. I use Karen's Replicator to backup my Documents folder which contains these files and it takes forever to go through them for some reason. I would like to know if I can delete the old preview folders as there is no need to hold on to previews of photographs that I don't access frequently.
Title: Bloated Light room Folder
Post by: john beardsworth on July 19, 2010, 02:50:59 am
Well, people have answered that last question - just delete the previews folder, not the lrcat file. But if backup is the underlying issue, can't you set your backup to target the lrcat file and exclude the previews?

John