Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RoyHubbard on July 08, 2010, 04:25:06 pm

Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: RoyHubbard on July 08, 2010, 04:25:06 pm
We were on the verge of being lost in the dark Monday night, but I was more focused on the pale late evening light than making it out of the woods. Luckily this was the right path, because there were only a few minutes left of sunlight by the time I took this.

Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: John R on July 08, 2010, 05:56:58 pm
Quote from: RoyHubbard
We were on the verge of being lost in the dark Monday night, but I was more focused on the pale late evening light than making it out of the woods. Luckily this was the right path, because there were only a few minutes left of sunlight by the time I took this.
Very nice. Dreamy but also mysterious. I really like the the distribution of light areas throughout the image. Was it hand held?

JMR
Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: RoyHubbard on July 08, 2010, 05:59:59 pm
Quote from: John R
Very nice. Dreamy but also mysterious. I really like the the distribution of light areas throughout the image. Was it hand held?

JMR
Hi John, thanks for your thoughts. I love the light from the last few minutes of daylight in the woods. This was a one-minute, tripod mounted exposure.
Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: Justan on July 08, 2010, 07:39:32 pm
Spectacular!

Time lapse in the woods is one of my favorites for all the reasons you so nicely captured
Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 09, 2010, 12:05:08 am
Excellent.

Eric

Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: RoyHubbard on July 09, 2010, 12:48:03 am
Thanks Eric and Justan
Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: Ed Blagden on July 09, 2010, 02:07:11 am
Very nice.  Not only is the lighting well chosen, but I also like your choice of composition, with the hard details of the path in the near foreground melting away into a dreamy middle distance.  Well done.
Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: Hans Kruse on July 09, 2010, 08:11:46 am
Quote from: RoyHubbard
We were on the verge of being lost in the dark Monday night, but I was more focused on the pale late evening light than making it out of the woods. Luckily this was the right path, because there were only a few minutes left of sunlight by the time I took this.

The composition and the scene is well chosen. A classic really. For my taste you could have added a (little) bit more light in the darker areas to make the tree in the left hand side slightly more visible.
Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: jule on July 09, 2010, 05:35:55 pm
Quote from: hkruse
The composition and the scene is well chosen. A classic really. For my taste you could have added a (little) bit more light in the darker areas to make the tree in the left hand side slightly more visible.
I actually disagree here with this point, because I think that having it difficult to see the tree's features makes me search for them, and creates one of the interesting elements in the image which keeps,my concentration held.  

Julie
Title: An Uncertain Path
Post by: Hans Kruse on July 09, 2010, 05:45:44 pm
Quote from: jule
I actually disagree here with this point, because I think that having it difficult to see the tree's features makes me search for them, and creates one of the interesting elements in the image which keeps,my concentration held.  

Julie

Now seeing the picture in the evening rather than during the daytime in a fairly brightly lit room I would say that I see basically now what I suggested without any change to the picture