Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 04, 2010, 05:52:27 pm
-
Can this be done in LR? I seem to remember that it used to be possible, perhaps in v1, but it doesn't seem to be possible now. I can remove images from the LR library and optionally delete them (move to Trash); I can remove folders from the library but I can't delete them from the filesystem.
Am I missing something?
Jeremy
-
I don't know - they show up as deleted in Vista's Explorer and when viewing the directories in Breezebrowser Pro.....I'm using LR3
Can this be done in LR? I seem to remember that it used to be possible, perhaps in v1, but it doesn't seem to be possible now. I can remove images from the LR library and optionally delete them (move to Trash); I can remove folders from the library but I can't delete them from the filesystem.
Am I missing something?
Jeremy
-
Okay, I created a subfolder called 'Test' in Lightroom 3, right-clicked on it and selected 'Remove'. Went to the Pictures folder outside of Lightroom (Windows 7), and the 'Test' folder was gone. I then created a 'Test' subfolder in Lightroom and moved an image into it. When I right-clicked on it and selected 'Remove', I got a message from Lightroom telling me that the folder contains one photo and that if I continued the folder and the image would be removed from Lightroom but left on the drive. Are the folders you're trying to remove from Lightroom empty?
Mike.
-
Okay, I created a subfolder called 'Test' in Lightroom 3, right-clicked on it and selected 'Remove'. Went to the Pictures folder outside of Lightroom (Windows 7), and the 'Test' folder was gone. I then created a 'Test' subfolder in Lightroom and moved an image into it. When I right-clicked on it and selected 'Remove', I got a message from Lightroom telling me that the folder contains one photo and that if I continued the folder and the image would be removed from Lightroom but left on the drive. Are the folders you're trying to remove from Lightroom empty?
Mike.
That's what I was missing, Mike. Thanks. So it's a two-stage process: delete the contents, then delete the folder.
I'm not sure what the thought processes were behind the decision to implement deleting a folder in that way: why not have the option of moving the folder and its contents to the Trash, as exists for deleting individual photos?
Jeremy
-
It's just in case you forget that a folder has something else in it. If for some reason a folder contained a Word file or something else that had never been in Lightroom, you'd not notice that file's deletion until you emptied the recycle bin - if you noticed its loss at all.
John