Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 02, 2010, 11:58:59 am

Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 02, 2010, 11:58:59 am
Why is Apple's explanation reminding me of the classic "solution" to the 5-o'clock traffic jam problem (i.e., let everybody leave their work one hour earlier)?

Namely, Apple is claiming that the sudden drop in signal strength (when held in certain way), evident by a big drop in bars,  is because of "... high bars were never real in the first place..." Hence the "solution": recalibrate bars, and make "... bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller..." and, presto! No more "big bar drop", at least not visually.  

Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: Nill Toulme on July 02, 2010, 12:09:40 pm
Or the old joke about how many Microsoft engineers it took to change a lightbulb...  ;-)

Nill
Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: fredjeang on July 02, 2010, 12:37:16 pm
I don't know what you all think about that folks, but I have mixed feelings with Apple recently.

It seems that they are fashionable and want to be giants, I don't blame them for that. But are we talking about the Apple we all loved?

Recently I went to the apple store and simply there was no laptop with non-glossy screen. All they could tell me is that now that Apple
considered this had to be a professional feature, therefore they are only available on command.  

Some signs are reminding me of Microsoft "golden age"...mmm, idées de grandeurs...

Fair enough to Apple: I dropped heavily an Ibook on the floor just on a corner and guess what? nothing! not a scratch.
I was just impressed by the built quality.

So, mixed feelings indeed.
Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: RSL on July 02, 2010, 04:43:13 pm
Quote from: fredjeang
Recently I went to the apple store and simply there was no laptop with non-glossy screen. All they could tell me is that now that Apple
considered this had to be a professional feature, therefore they are only available on command.

You should see what Martin Evening has to say about Apple's new monitors in his new book on Photoshop CS5... He's not happy, and Martin's a Mac fan.
Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: PeterAit on July 02, 2010, 05:48:42 pm
Quote from: fredjeang
I don't know what you all think about that folks, but I have mixed feelings with Apple recently.

It seems that they are fashionable and want to be giants, I don't blame them for that. But are we talking about the Apple we all loved?

Recently I went to the apple store and simply there was no laptop with non-glossy screen. All they could tell me is that now that Apple
considered this had to be a professional feature, therefore they are only available on command.  

Some signs are reminding me of Microsoft "golden age"...mmm, idées de grandeurs...

Fair enough to Apple: I dropped heavily an Ibook on the floor just on a corner and guess what? nothing! not a scratch.
I was just impressed by the built quality.

So, mixed feelings indeed.

Indeed. There was a  recent story in the paper about how Apple has become a giant and is engaging in the sort of anti-competitive practices that Microsoft used to castigated for.
Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: semillerimages on July 02, 2010, 09:28:30 pm
People are moaning about the iPhone 4 and it's problems, but for me there is no problem with mine at all.
It's fast, it's nice, and it's perfect in my hand.
Everyone else's mileage may vary, but then again the reason why I have it is that when I loaded iOS4 onto my 3G phone the OS made the phone unbearably slow. Go figure.

Cheers,

*steve

ps the camera is friggen great!
Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: EduPerez on July 05, 2010, 04:02:55 am
Phone manufacturers, as requested by mobile operators, have been cheating on both signal and battery indicators for ages: someone discovered that people tend to make less calls when their battery is low or they have a low signal strength, so now both indicators are more "optimistic" that what they should.
Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: Rob C on July 05, 2010, 06:19:44 am
And to think it was only camera makers we suspected of such underhand deeds!

Rob C
Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: Geoff Wittig on July 07, 2010, 12:36:59 pm
Quote from: PeterAit
Indeed. There was a  recent story in the paper about how Apple has become a giant and is engaging in the sort of anti-competitive practices that Microsoft used to castigated for.

A classic line from Peter McWilliams in a book on personal computers about 18 years ago:
"Beneath the warm fuzzy exterior of Apple beats a heart of corporate greed as cold as anything at IBM."
Title: Corporate Spin of the Century?
Post by: Rob C on July 08, 2010, 10:25:58 am
Quote from: Geoff Wittig
A classic line from Peter McWilliams in a book on personal computers about 18 years ago:
"Beneath the warm fuzzy exterior of Apple beats a heart of corporate greed as cold as anything at IBM."





Know zilch about the companies in question, but nothing should surprise. The cold, cold heart is the engine that makes things last, even things other than country 'n' western music.

Frankly, I believe to the bottom of my own lukewarm one that without that touch of cold steel one is pretty well effed before the off! It is very obvious with us photographers - which of us hasn't been in the situation where a lesser talent always appears to be the one with the better cameras, cars and home? It isn't so much what you do - assuming a level of competence that is good enough for the job - as the way in which you run your business.

I remember going to see an ad agency in Glasgow many years ago trying to get more regular work from them - they guy looked at my portfolio again and nodded wisely etc, and told me how great was the printing and so forth, but when I asked him why, in that case, I got very little work from them, he said: because Studio "X" is not very good, but they are cheaper than you," with that couple of degrees cooler heart I'd have matched the deal and got more of the work. Only I couldn't bring myself to do that.

Another thing about the old town in the 60s/70s: there was still a huge market in whisky bottle photography. I even thought of re-equipping and getting into LF and starting a new business I was going to call "Bottle" and do just that: glass containers. Had the studio, everything except one thing: the conviction that I could abandon shooting people pics. I couldn't even start on the road. So much for hearts of ice! But kind of proves you need them if you are going to grow a business, any business.

Rob C