Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: DarkPenguin on June 25, 2010, 01:15:14 pm

Title: collection question
Post by: DarkPenguin on June 25, 2010, 01:15:14 pm
Any way to tell if you've printed an image?  Would like a smart collection of printed images...
Title: collection question
Post by: aduke on June 25, 2010, 02:37:00 pm
Quote from: DarkPenguin
Any way to tell if you've printed an image?  Would like a smart collection of printed images...

The develop history contains a "Print" state. A smart-collection filter of "any searchable text contains print" will find that state and the image will be included in the smart collection.

Alan
Title: collection question
Post by: digitaldog on June 25, 2010, 02:52:38 pm
Quote from: aduke
The develop history contains a "Print" state. A smart-collection filter of "any searchable text contains print" will find that state and the image will be included in the smart collection.

Unless, like I, you have the word “print” in the filename (Epson Print Academy, Zia in snow for Print). We really need a better way to specifically search History.

What I’ve been doing is using Color Labels for images that have been printed. Or one could just make a keyword “Printed” and then the Smart Collection would work, but one would have to manually apply this to images after printing.
Title: collection question
Post by: john beardsworth on June 25, 2010, 02:59:16 pm
Rather than add the keyword, why not add to a dumb collection? You can then see whether a file's been printed by right clicking the badge on the thumbnail.
Title: collection question
Post by: digitaldog on June 25, 2010, 03:03:57 pm
Quote from: johnbeardy
Rather than add the keyword, why not add to a dumb collection? You can then see whether a file's been printed by right clicking the badge on the thumbnail.

I stopped using them because they are dumb <g>. Too fragile, proprietary, don’t trust em.

Not sure about this badge, I just printed a document and don’t see it.
Title: collection question
Post by: john beardsworth on June 25, 2010, 03:09:30 pm
Quote from: digitaldog
I stopped using them because they are dumb <g>. Too fragile, proprietary, don’t trust em.

Not sure about this badge, I just printed a document and don’t see it.
I see that as an advantage because I only want my keywords to be real keywords.

The badge I mean is when an image is added to one or more collection, there's a badge that lets you choose which of its collections to go to. I don't mean one that appears after you print. But I agree we should be able to search history steps (and it's not even possible via the SDK)

John
Title: collection question
Post by: digitaldog on June 25, 2010, 03:14:02 pm
Quote from: johnbeardy
I see that as an advantage because I only want my keywords to be real keywords.

Not sure what doesn’t make it real <g>.

I have to resort to all kinds of these workarounds using keywords. I don’t trust Pick, its again proprietary and I’ve lost that tagging in the past. So I have a keyword called Pick and a smart collection to gather them. Same with Web Galleries (I use that keyword for images that end up as a web gallery). I suppose you could put it into Caption or the other few editable metadata fields.

I can from time to time use LR’s search to find the proprietary Picks and just drag the Pick keyword over them all, those that don’t have that keyword are updated. Its more work than I’d like, but far less than losing all this information due to some catalog issue or upgrade issue.

Quote
The badge I mean is when an image is added to one or more collection, there's a badge that lets you choose which of its collections to go to. I don't mean one that appears after you print.

Ah, OK. Thought I missed a good feature.
Title: collection question
Post by: john beardsworth on June 25, 2010, 03:14:23 pm
As an aside, Andrew, the SDK would allow a plug-in to write collections to keywords and vice versa.
Title: collection question
Post by: DarkPenguin on June 27, 2010, 01:07:15 pm
Quote from: aduke
The develop history contains a "Print" state. A smart-collection filter of "any searchable text contains print" will find that state and the image will be included in the smart collection.

Alan

This doesn't work for me.  Of course all of my smart collections are broken so maybe that's it.

Maybe I should toss my current catalog and re-import.....
Title: collection question
Post by: john beardsworth on June 27, 2010, 01:09:15 pm
Quote from: DarkPenguin
This doesn't work for me.  Of course all of my smart collections are broken so maybe that's it.
That's because AFAIK it doesn't work.
Title: collection question
Post by: digitaldog on June 27, 2010, 01:19:24 pm
Quote from: johnbeardy
That's because AFAIK it doesn't work.

Yep, doesn’t work for me either. There may be a Print history but the Smart Collection can’t see it.