Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: BobFisher on June 24, 2010, 08:26:51 am
-
When I soft proof in PS, I can create a set of new adjustment layers to tweak the image and compensate for the paper I'm printing on. I can have multiple groups of layers in the same image file for different papers/printer settings and simply turn off visibility of the layers I don't need for a given print. I can save the file with layers turned off and when the file is re-opened, the same layers will still be turned off. When a change is made to an image in PS, LR updates the image file in its catalogue. But in what way? Does LR properly reflect the visibility of layers in PS or does it show the effect as if all layers were visible? This, obviously, would impact the ability to print accurately out of LR for files that have been soft proofed in PS but may have multiple layer groupings for different printing conditions.
Thanks.
-
Why don't you just try it out. Print the same file from PS and than from LR. You''ll have the clearest and precisest of all answers.
-
I don't use Lightroom anymore, sorry.
-
Well, I could do that, sure. But it wastes paper and ink. I figured one of the LR gurus here on the forum would know.
-
Well, I could do that, sure. But it wastes paper and ink. I figured one of the LR gurus here on the forum would know.
You could just print a tiny little test. You'll have some facts in hands to compare the gurus answers to. (Sorry no LR here either.)
nino
-
When I soft proof in PS, I can create a set of new adjustment layers to tweak the image and compensate for the paper I'm printing on. I can have multiple groups of layers in the same image file for different papers/printer settings and simply turn off visibility of the layers I don't need for a given print. I can save the file with layers turned off and when the file is re-opened, the same layers will still be turned off. When a change is made to an image in PS, LR updates the image file in its catalogue. But in what way? Does LR properly reflect the visibility of layers in PS or does it show the effect as if all layers were visible? This, obviously, would impact the ability to print accurately out of LR for files that have been soft proofed in PS but may have multiple layer groupings for different printing conditions.
Thanks.
You answered the question yourself. No need to print it - if the image updates in LR when you add an adjustment layer (it does), then LR treats visibility properly, like it should (it does).