Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: GrantKaye on June 22, 2010, 12:06:19 pm

Title: Stars over Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe
Post by: GrantKaye on June 22, 2010, 12:06:19 pm
I got out Friday night and made a composite exposure of stars over Emerald Bay.

[attachment=22733:emerald_bay_stars.jpg]

This is a composite of 26 x 300" exposures. The half moon set halfway through the shoot, so I was able to get some light on the trees by the lake before the sky got really dark. A car came through towards the end, which illuminated the trees in the foreground in one of the exposures. I attempted to use the "lighten-screen blend" technique (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/725769/0) illustrated by Floris in the Fred Miranda Forums, but couldn't get it to work completely, thus I had to fix some of the gaps in the star trails from battery changes by hand. There are probably more that I need to fix in the print version of the file, but I think this version is good enough to show. I hope you agree! Thanks for having a look.

Does anyone know of any other techniques to automate filling in gaps in star trails?
Title: Stars over Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe
Post by: francois on June 22, 2010, 01:19:13 pm
Very nice photo, the light on the trees and near the water is very welcome. Without it, the image would a lot less attractive.