Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: marcmccalmont on June 12, 2010, 07:38:28 pm

Title: New to Lightroom
Post by: marcmccalmont on June 12, 2010, 07:38:28 pm
Just purchased Photoshop CS5 so with the 30% discount decided to buy Lightroom 3. Never used it, so I'm wondering if there is an efficient way to learn lightroom quickly? LL LR2 tutorial? a particular book?
I use Down loader pro for archiving, Breeze browser pro for sorting, DxO and C1 for raw conversion and CS5 for post processing.
Thanks
Marc
Title: New to Lightroom
Post by: David Hufford on June 12, 2010, 07:47:24 pm
Quote from: marcmccalmont
Just purchased Photoshop CS5 so with the 30% discount decided to buy Lightroom 3. Never used it, so I'm wondering if there is an efficient way to learn lightroom quickly? LL LR2 tutorial? a particular book?
I use Down loader pro for archiving, Breeze browser pro for sorting, DxO and C1 for raw conversion and CS5 for post processing.
Thanks
Marc

The LL LR2 tutorial is very good in my opinion. That's how I started on Lightroom and is the only one I've needed. A video for LR3 is in the works if you want to wait for that. There are differences enough in LR3 that it might make the wait worthwhile.
Title: New to Lightroom
Post by: Sheldon N on June 12, 2010, 07:47:29 pm
Quote from: marcmccalmont
Just purchased Photoshop CS5 so with the 30% discount decided to buy Lightroom 3. Never used it, so I'm wondering if there is an efficient way to learn lightroom quickly? LL LR2 tutorial? a particular book?
I use Down loader pro for archiving, Breeze browser pro for sorting, DxO and C1 for raw conversion and CS5 for post processing.
Thanks
Marc

Definitely the LL Video Tutorial. You might ask how soon the LR3 tutorial will be out, but the LR2 tutorial was very helpful for me to get started.
Title: New to Lightroom
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on June 12, 2010, 07:57:57 pm
I will be starting the edit of the LR3 tutorial in a few days and intend to publish it on a Pre-Sale incrementally by section. This means you should start to see L-L LR3 Tutorial content by the first week of July.
Chris
Title: New to Lightroom
Post by: BobFisher on June 12, 2010, 08:12:39 pm
Just out of curiosity, what are you planning on using LR for?  Are you looking to streamline and cut out all the other apps. in the workflow?  

As far as getting to know LR, if Martin Evening has a book for LR3, it'd be a good one to pick up.  A quick Google says that he does (http://lightroom-news.com/).
Title: New to Lightroom
Post by: marcmccalmont on June 12, 2010, 09:21:54 pm
Quote from: Chris Sanderson
I will be starting the edit of the LR3 tutorial in a few days and intend to publish it on a Pre-Sale incrementally by section. This means you should start to see L-L LR3 Tutorial content by the first week of July.
Chris

I'll look for them
Marc
Title: New to Lightroom
Post by: marcmccalmont on June 12, 2010, 09:27:10 pm
Quote from: BobFisher
Just out of curiosity, what are you planning on using LR for?  Are you looking to streamline and cut out all the other apps. in the workflow?  

As far as getting to know LR, if Martin Evening has a book for LR3, it'd be a good one to pick up.  A quick Google says that he does (http://lightroom-news.com/).


I came back from Phuket with a lot of "Vacation Pictures" I'm very happy with the images that I get from my present work-flow but to process a "bunch" to show friends I figured a more streamlined approach would help. I can then go back and take the time to process the keepers again. Also the 30% discount with the CS5 upgrade kind of tipped the scale.
Marc