Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: EduPerez on June 11, 2010, 05:04:35 am

Title: Pont del Petroli
Post by: EduPerez on June 11, 2010, 05:04:35 am
These photographs should have much longer exposition times, producing smoothed water and blurred clouds; but while I wait for my ND's, I decided to try some compositions. As always, all C&C is appreciated.
Title: Pont del Petroli
Post by: tokengirl on June 11, 2010, 11:31:10 am
I think the ND filters will get you where you want to go with this.

I think the compositions are great, but the tones are a little flat?  Maybe needs a little more contrast, I'd like to see a good black somewhere in these.
Title: Pont del Petroli
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 11, 2010, 03:28:47 pm
Longer exposures might improve some of them but number 2 looks pretty damn good as it is.

Jeremy
Title: Pont del Petroli
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 11, 2010, 08:50:32 pm
Quote from: kikashi
Longer exposures might improve some of them but number 2 looks pretty damn good as it is.

Jeremy

I agree. And the same for #4, IMHO.


Eric

Title: Pont del Petroli
Post by: AndrewKulin on June 12, 2010, 11:15:27 am
Very nice work as is (and as already stated).  #4 could use some more ocean to the right.  The end of the pier is too close to the edge of the photo in my opinion.
Title: Pont del Petroli
Post by: John R Smith on June 12, 2010, 02:20:17 pm
Well, just to be difficult, I like #3 the best. Nice work. Personally, I think the exposures are quite long enough - I find this blurred water stuff just done to death these days. Every contemporary English landscape and coastal photographer has to do the long exposure thing, and I'm just bored by it. Same with the inevitable waterfall shots, which everyone endlessly trots out.

The subject here and the compositions are strong. I don't think they need a gimmick to help them out. But that's just my opinion, and maybe I'm off message as usual  

John
Title: Pont del Petroli
Post by: EduPerez on June 16, 2010, 02:21:03 am
First of all: thanks everyone for you comments.

Quote from: tokengirl
I think the compositions are great, but the tones are a little flat?  Maybe needs a little more contrast, I'd like to see a good black somewhere in these.
I tried, but I could not get those good blacks you mention, at leas not without mudding too much certain areas that are important to me; will try again, however...

Quote from: AndrewKulin
#4 could use some more ocean to the right.  The end of the pier is too close to the edge of the photo in my opinion.
Yes, definitely; I need to check the cropping on that picture.

Quote from: John R Smith
Well, just to be difficult, I like #3 the best. Nice work. Personally, I think the exposures are quite long enough - I find this blurred water stuff just done to death these days. Every contemporary English landscape and coastal photographer has to do the long exposure thing, and I'm just bored by it. Same with the inevitable waterfall shots, which everyone endlessly trots out.

The subject here and the compositions are strong. I don't think they need a gimmick to help them out. But that's just my opinion, and maybe I'm off message as usual  

John
Well, opinions are precisely what I came here looking for! Thanks for sharing yours, and it is an interesting point of view, I am rethinking whether I really need to do the longer exposures.
Title: Pont del Petroli
Post by: francois on June 16, 2010, 03:10:09 am
My favorite is#3 with a close second for #2. I quite like the "verticality" of #3.I fully agree with Andrew on #4. It' a nice serie, congrats.