Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Wayne Fox on June 10, 2010, 11:23:21 pm

Title: CS5 on OS X, scratch disk/RAM
Post by: Wayne Fox on June 10, 2010, 11:23:21 pm
I'm reconfiguring my Mac Pro.  Currently I have 2 dedicated 10k rpm drives as Raid 0 that is used only as a scratch disk for Photoshop.  I have 16gigs of RAM, with 11 of them set aside for CS5.  I'm considering upping the RAM even more to make sure CS5 always has enough RAM despite any other applications running.  With this much ram, it seems the scratch disks may now be overkill, and I'd prefer a couple of 2tb drives for images storage instead.  

Any thoughts on this?
Title: CS5 on OS X, scratch disk/RAM
Post by: Farmer on June 11, 2010, 02:28:35 am
Quote from: Wayne Fox
I'm reconfiguring my Mac Pro.  Currently I have 2 dedicated 10k rpm drives as Raid 0 that is used only as a scratch disk for Photoshop.  I have 16gigs of RAM, with 11 of them set aside for CS5.  I'm considering upping the RAM even more to make sure CS5 always has enough RAM despite any other applications running.  With this much ram, it seems the scratch disks may now be overkill, and I'd prefer a couple of 2tb drives for images storage instead.  

Any thoughts on this?

PS won't let you have no scratch disk and it's surprising how quickly you can end up using more RAM.  I'd probably just cut back to a single 10k rpm for scratch just in case you need some and to keep it off your other drives.