Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Dennishh on June 10, 2010, 05:49:59 pm
-
I just upgraded to Lightroom 3 and tried importing Video clips, what a mistake. There are no thumbnails at all for AVI files. As far as I'm concerned, this makes Lightroom totally useless for Video! There are no editing options at all for Video. Adobe is touting their new CS5 Video capabilities how can they miss the importance of Video in this product? Could someone fill me in as to what program for windows does catalog Video? Is there a way to get Lightroom to show a thumbnail?
-
I just upgraded to Lightroom 3 and tried importing Video clips, what a mistake. There are no thumbnails at all for AVI files. As far as I'm concerned, this makes Lightroom totally useless for Video! There are no editing options at all for Video. Adobe is touting their new CS5 Video capabilities how can they miss the importance of Video in this product? Could someone fill me in as to what program for windows does catalog Video? Is there a way to get Lightroom to show a thumbnail?
What machine are you on? I on on an Intel mac running snow leopard. I just installed Lightroom 3 and imported a bunch of avi files and they all have thumbnails. I double click them and they play in Quick time. I really did not expect Lightroom to be able to edit them..
I did not set anything to get thumb nails; they just showed up.
ed
-
Yup... been thinking about using LR3 to catalogue my downloaded TED (http://www.ted.com/) talks.
Mike.
-
I just upgraded to Lightroom 3 and tried importing Video clips, what a mistake. There are no thumbnails at all for AVI files. As far as I'm concerned, this makes Lightroom totally useless for Video! There are no editing options at all for Video. Adobe is touting their new CS5 Video capabilities how can they miss the importance of Video in this product? Could someone fill me in as to what program for windows does catalog Video? Is there a way to get Lightroom to show a thumbnail?
Dennishh, I also have the same problem.
I have further analyzed it and noticed the following:
- Motion JPEG videos coming from my G7 shows thumbnails
- DIVX & MP4 do not show thumbnails
- Thumbnails are presented regardless of complementary THM files (additional meta-data & thumbnail information)
so far i suspect that some encoders (i.e. canon built-in encoding) add thumbnail inside the video and this is what Lr uses.
I'm still investigating, will update on progress.
-
As it seems Lr knows to analyze certain containers (i.e. AVI) and only certain encodings (motion jpeg & AVC).
There's no way to "assist" Lr in showing thumbnail, I tried THM and JPG, neither worked.
-
Thanks for all the replies! I have a 3 year or older copy of iView that shows all the AVI files with thumbnails, can't figure out why Adobe can't do that? I was a little hasty in my statement about editing, what I meant was being able to use the videos in slide shows like aperture can. Lightroom seems to be able to use metadata with the AVI files. MP4 files seem to be erratic with their thumbnail production.