Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: trentf on June 08, 2010, 04:19:43 pm

Title: Opening TIFF in camera raw
Post by: trentf on June 08, 2010, 04:19:43 pm
I need a little help.  On a mac with Photoshop CS 4.  I saved a PSD as a TIFF.  Went into bridge and want to open it in Camera RAW.  Under File>open with>  I do not see Camera RAW...  I thought I had done it before.  What am I missing??  Thanks in advance.
Title: Opening TIFF in camera raw
Post by: Schewe on June 08, 2010, 05:25:02 pm
Is the file flattened and does it contain a color profile?
Title: Opening TIFF in camera raw
Post by: trentf on June 08, 2010, 06:40:18 pm
No not flat and yes on profile....  I am thinking that is the problem.. I can however save the same file as a JPEG and through bridge open in RAW.
Title: Opening TIFF in camera raw
Post by: Schewe on June 08, 2010, 07:16:16 pm
Quote from: trentf
No not flat...


Then that's the problem. ACR can only open a flat tiff without any layers.
Title: Opening TIFF in camera raw
Post by: trentf on June 08, 2010, 07:30:57 pm
thank you....
Title: Opening TIFF in camera raw
Post by: BobFisher on June 09, 2010, 04:42:48 pm
I thought something might be a bit odd so I tried opening an unlayered, tagged TIFF into ACR from Bridge CS5.  The Camera Raw option was greyed out.  Tried it with a layered, tagged TIFF and Camera Raw was greyed out.  Tried with a JPEG and the Camera Raw option was active.  

Tried opening a layered, tagged TIFF into ACR directly from PS and it worked.  It did flatten the file; however.

I then went to Bridge CS3 and tried the same two TIFFs.  With the layered TIFF, the Camera Raw option was greyed out.  With the unlayered TIFF, the Camera Raw option was active.

Perhaps something's amiss in Bridge CS5?
Title: Opening TIFF in camera raw
Post by: walter.sk on June 09, 2010, 09:29:42 pm
Quote from: BobFisher
I thought something might be a bit odd so I tried opening an unlayered, tagged TIFF into ACR from Bridge CS5.  The Camera Raw option was greyed out.  Tried it with a layered, tagged TIFF and Camera Raw was greyed out.  Tried with a JPEG and the Camera Raw option was active.  

Tried opening a layered, tagged TIFF into ACR directly from PS and it worked.  It did flatten the file; however.

I then went to Bridge CS3 and tried the same two TIFFs.  With the layered TIFF, the Camera Raw option was greyed out.  With the unlayered TIFF, the Camera Raw option was active.

Perhaps something's amiss in Bridge CS5?
Make sure your preferences are set to open tiff's with settings in ACR.  I don't remember offhand, but there could be such options in PSCS5 preferences, Bridge preferences and/or Camera Raw preferences.
Title: Opening TIFF in camera raw
Post by: BobFisher on June 09, 2010, 10:05:46 pm
You're right, Walter.  My ACR setting for TIFFs was different in CS5 vs. CS3.  Missed that one.  Thanks.