Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: David Saffir on June 07, 2010, 06:16:07 pm
-
I'm running CS5 on a Mac Pro tower, 2.66 Quad Core with 12 GB ram.
Running CS5 in 32 bit Photoshop is not very stable at all. Runs slow, and eventually crashes.
However, in 64-bit mode, more stable BUT if I work on several images in a row, eventually starts to slow down and eventually crashes, too. This happens, most often, when I try to manipulate a layer, or change tools...
Nothing unusual running as a background process.
Anyone have any suggestions?
David
-
I have the same set up (with an ATIX1900XT video card) and I'm not experiencing the problem you describe. My suggestion would be to look at 1) your video card - is it supported? 2) your Photoshop Plug-ins - are they compatible? 3) your scratch disk - is it on a separate dedicated hard drive?
The first step to troubleshooting Photoshop is: "Reset the Preferences by holding down Shift + Option + Command (Mac OS) or Shift + Ctrl + Alt (Windows) immediately after you restart Photoshop. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File, and retry the function that caused the problem."
Optimizing Photoshop CS5 performance:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404440.html (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404440.html)
GPU and OPen GL Support in Photoshop CS5:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html)
Chances are it is an incompatible third party plug-in.
-
I've had a lot of the same issues ever since CS5 first came out - dog slow at times, many crashes, and lots of out-of-memory errors - and I've not installed any plugins, my scratch drive is a naked 250gig drive, and I've got 24gigs of RAM in a tower Mac Pro (2007 model or something like that). So far, this has been the most unstable version of PS I've ever run, and I go back a long time. I've heard the same story from a lot of folks.
One question - can a video card actually make Photoshop crash, or just slow it down? I'm not sure what mine is but it was an upgrade with 512 vram from what the tower came with stock.
-
ne question - can a video card actually make Photoshop crash, or just slow it down? I'm not sure what mine is but it was an upgrade with 512 vram from what the tower came with stock.
"Problems can occur if there are incompatibilities among Photoshop and the display components that work together to access the GPU. You can experience issues such as artifacts, errors, crashes, or Photoshop closing without an error. If any of these issues occur, see Updating GPU Drivers, Troubleshooting, Known Issues and the FAQ."
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html)
-
My card is on the good list so that is not an issue on my machine...
-
maybe it is an idea to check this site:
http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topic...r_photographers (http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html#cat_for_photographers)
for one it seems Photoshop CS5 can be faster or slower depending on the preferences etc...
A lot of good info there
Pieter