Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: ArunGaur on June 01, 2010, 10:47:05 pm

Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: ArunGaur on June 01, 2010, 10:47:05 pm
Is it possible to establish and run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto or in any other place in Canada?

Please answer with reference to:

1.   Is it lawful?
2.   Is it economically viable? I mean is it possible to make a sale through it?

Arun Gaur
Visit My Website (http://http://tripolia-indianlandscapeimages.com)
Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: Joe Behar on June 01, 2010, 11:34:07 pm
Quote from: ArunGaur
Is it possible to establish and run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto or in any other place in Canada?

Please answer with reference to:

1.   Is it lawful?
2.   Is it economically viable? I mean is it possible to make a sale through it?

Arun Gaur
Visit My Website (http://http://tripolia-indianlandscapeimages.com)

This might be a good place to start

http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_for_business/index.htm (http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_for_business/index.htm)

As far as viability, it depends on how effective your marketing is and, of course, if the public wants what you have for sale
Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: ArunGaur on June 02, 2010, 05:17:13 am
Quote from: Joe Behar
This might be a good place to start

http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_for_business/index.htm (http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_for_business/index.htm)

As far as viability, it depends on how effective your marketing is and, of course, if the public wants what you have for sale

Thanks Joe

However, specifically I ask this: Is it legal to operate from one's home a commercial gallery (i.e. where prints are sold) in Toronto?

Arun Gaur

Visit My Website (http://tripolia-indianlandscapeimages.com)
Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: Peter Stacey on June 02, 2010, 09:29:18 am
Quote from: ArunGaur
Is it legal to operate from one's home a commercial gallery (i.e. where prints are sold) in Toronto?

As a non-Canadian, it seems to be at least possible:

http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/guide/2031/ (http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/guide/2031/)

Though zoning laws in your specific municipality might limit it.
Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: ArunGaur on June 02, 2010, 11:51:19 am
Quote from: Peter Stacey
As a non-Canadian, it seems to be at least possible:

http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/guide/2031/ (http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/guide/2031/)

Though zoning laws in your specific municipality might limit it.
And as a Canadian?
Arun
Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: Justan on June 02, 2010, 12:09:35 pm
Check out your local municipality (Toronto) for regulations regarding a home based businesses. It is the only way to get a straight answer. It will only cost you a phone call or a look at the local gov web site.

The real key for a home based business is not to disturb the neighbors.
Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: Peter Stacey on June 02, 2010, 12:29:45 pm
Quote from: ArunGaur
And as a Canadian?
Arun

Since I'm not Canadian, I can't answer that, but I thought the link I gave was fairly self explanatory.

Perhaps not, though I would have thought that information on a home business on the Canadian government run, Canada Business website would have been useful.
Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: ArunGaur on June 02, 2010, 08:28:24 pm
Quote from: Peter Stacey
Since I'm not Canadian, I can't answer that, but I thought the link I gave was fairly self explanatory.

Perhaps not, though I would have thought that information on a home business on the Canadian government run, Canada Business website would have been useful.
Thanks Peter. I will go through thoroughly once again the link provided by you.
I am sure it is very useful.
Arun
Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: ArunGaur on June 02, 2010, 08:59:26 pm
Quote from: Justan
Check out your local municipality (Toronto) for regulations regarding a home based businesses. It is the only way to get a straight answer. It will only cost you a phone call or a look at the local gov web site.

The real key for a home based business is not to disturb the neighbors.

Yes that's very important--the point on neighbors.
Arun
Title: Can we run a photo gallery at a home in Toronto?
Post by: ArunGaur on June 02, 2010, 09:01:47 pm
Quote from: Peter Stacey
Since I'm not Canadian, I can't answer that, but I thought the link I gave was fairly self explanatory.

Perhaps not, though I would have thought that information on a home business on the Canadian government run, Canada Business website would have been useful.

Peter. Somehow I had missed the link you provided. Now I have it and gone through the web-site. Thanks for that. It provides an enormous amount of relevant information.
Arun Gaur