Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: semillerimages on May 30, 2010, 04:34:21 pm

Title: Merging Lightroom 2.* catalogs with Lightroom 3 (when it comes out in full version)
Post by: semillerimages on May 30, 2010, 04:34:21 pm
Hi all,

I did a google search yesterday on this topic and couldn't find the info that I needed, so I ask here:

Will I be able to merge my old Lightroom 2.* catalog with the work I have done in Lightroom 3 beta when the full version of Lightroom 3 comes out?

Thanks!

*steve
Title: Merging Lightroom 2.* catalogs with Lightroom 3 (when it comes out in full version)
Post by: Schewe on May 30, 2010, 06:59:03 pm
Yes, LR 3 final will allow you to update your LR 2 catalog then in the LR 3 beta catalog (which will also update) you import your LR 2 catalog as a catalog...
Title: Merging Lightroom 2.* catalogs with Lightroom 3 (when it comes out in full version)
Post by: Langsey on May 30, 2010, 07:40:08 pm
Can you estimate when LR3 will be released?
 John

Quote from: Schewe
Yes, LR 3 final will allow you to update your LR 2 catalog then in the LR 3 beta catalog (which will also update) you import your LR 2 catalog as a catalog...
Title: Merging Lightroom 2.* catalogs with Lightroom 3 (when it comes out in full version)
Post by: Schewe on May 30, 2010, 11:24:43 pm
No...for obvious reasons...

Anybody who knows can't say, anybody who says can't know (or is violating an NDA).

The odds are it'll be before LR 3 beta 2 expires which I believe is June 30th.
Title: Merging Lightroom 2.* catalogs with Lightroom 3 (when it comes out in full version)
Post by: semillerimages on May 30, 2010, 11:43:38 pm
Schewe,

Just to clarify, as I have not had to do this before (I did not use Lightroom 1, so missed out on the catalog upgrading to Lightroom 2), when the final release comes out the Beta3 catalog can be upgraded, then would I use the "Import from Catalog" function to bring in everything that I had in Lightroom 2.*?

Thank you for your answer and time,

*steve

Quote from: Schewe
Yes, LR 3 final will allow you to update your LR 2 catalog then in the LR 3 beta catalog (which will also update) you import your LR 2 catalog as a catalog...
Title: Merging Lightroom 2.* catalogs with Lightroom 3 (when it comes out in full version)
Post by: john beardsworth on May 31, 2010, 05:17:55 am
Steve

It is highly likely that when you start LR3 and tell it to open an LR2 catalogue, it will convert it in its entirety and create a new catalogue in the LR3 format. Your LR2 catalogue will be left untouched, and you'll still be able to open that old catalogue in LR2 (if you ever want to do so). That's what happened with LR1 to LR2, and it's very probable that it'll be the same this time. In other words, you're right to be concerned but I wouldn't worry.

John
Title: Merging Lightroom 2.* catalogs with Lightroom 3 (when it comes out in full version)
Post by: Langsey on May 31, 2010, 10:02:12 am
Thanks

Quote from: Schewe
No...for obvious reasons...

Anybody who knows can't say, anybody who says can't know (or is violating an NDA).

The odds are it'll be before LR 3 beta 2 expires which I believe is June 30th.