Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: walter.sk on May 30, 2010, 10:05:35 am

Title: Really Strange Bridge CS5
Post by: walter.sk on May 30, 2010, 10:05:35 am
Is there a limit to the number of directories the Bridge in CS5 will accept?  I have an internal 1 TB HDD that I use only for my picture files (on a Win 7 64-bit machine with 8G Ram).  The directory structure is:  E:\WalterK\MyDocuments\MyPictures\2008PhotoStuff\LatestDownloads\Date_Name Of Shoot\and the image files.  

Under ...LatestDownloads\ I have very, very many folders of shoots from 2008-May 2010.  Last night I put in my day's shooting using my usual workflow:  I used Lightroom to copy my files from my card reader & CF card to ...\2010-05-29_Poughkeepsie Bridges.  I viewed them in LR last night.  Today, I opened CS5 and summoned the Bridge and tried to navigage to my pictures, and there was no such folder there.  I checked in LR, and the pix and folder were there.  I checked in Computer and found the folder and files on the HDD where they were supposed to be.  I loaded the Bridge from CS4, and the folder was there.

I closed CS5 and the CS5 Bridge, and reopened them.  Still no folder.  I tried View>Refresh, to no avail.  I then went to Computer and made a new test folder with today's date, which appeared where it should, under LatestDownloads, below yesterday's folder.  Bridge CS4 was able to find the folder.  I reopened CS5, and under File>Open I was able  to navigate to the folders in question, and open a file.  I called the CS5 Bridge, and neither the test folder nor yesterday's folder was visible.

The only conclusion I have come to is that there is a limit to the number of folders in a directory that the new Bridge will find.  I will now trash the prefs file in CS5, and I hate having to redo all my prefs.

Any ideas on what is happening?
Title: Really Strange Bridge CS5
Post by: Chris_Brown on May 30, 2010, 09:07:39 pm
How is Bridge's cache set up in the program's preferences?
Title: Really Strange Bridge CS5
Post by: Mike Bailey on May 31, 2010, 07:17:49 am
Is it possible that you have run into the file name + path limit of 260 characters?  What you quote certainly is not that long, but in combination with more folder names before and/or after, this might be happening?

Mike

________________________________________________________________
BlueRockPhotography.com (http://BlueRockphotography.com)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Rock-Photography (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Rock-Photography/100527420759)
http://twitter.com/bluerockphoto (http://twitter.com/bluerockphoto)
Title: Really Strange Bridge CS5
Post by: walter.sk on May 31, 2010, 08:42:49 am
Quote from: Mike Bailey
Is it possible that you have run into the file name + path limit of 260 characters?  What you quote certainly is not that long, but in combination with more folder names before and/or after, this might be happening?
Not really.  The bridge from CS4 has no trouble finding and navigating to the images.  Only the Bridge in CS5.  What I finally did was open the files in CS5's Camera RAW from CS4's Bridge by right-clicking and choosing PSCS5.  Oddly, after saving them as tiffs, on re-opening CS5, CS5 was able to find the folder and open the files.  I then opened the CS5 Bridge and was able to find the folder.

I don't think it has anything to do with having CS4 and CS5 on my HDD, though, as I have not had the problem before, or since.

Strange!