Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: JohnBrew on May 27, 2010, 11:16:25 am

Title: Forest light #3
Post by: JohnBrew on May 27, 2010, 11:16:25 am
Geez, Michael, what's with all these dark images posted of late? Or do we need to send out a search party as you are lost in the woods with your laptop, but can still transmit images?  
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: wolfnowl on May 27, 2010, 11:26:21 am
Well, the Pacific rainforest is very productive, which means big trees, lots of growth, and not much light.  I think the highlights on the leaves in the current image are great!

Mike.
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 27, 2010, 01:31:29 pm
Quote from: wolfnowl
Well, the Pacific rainforest is very productive, which means big trees, lots of growth, and not much light.  I think the highlights on the leaves in the current image are great!

Mike.
I agree: it's a very appealing shot.

Jeremy
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: Tam on May 27, 2010, 01:36:49 pm
Thanks again for renewed vision Michael. I've long admired your straying off the obvious path.
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on May 27, 2010, 02:31:20 pm
I don't often comment, but have to this time.  I think this is the most stunning one of yours in a long time...

Lisa
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 27, 2010, 02:56:35 pm
Quote from: Lisa Nikodym
I don't often comment, but have to this time.  I think this is the most stunning one of yours in a long time...

Lisa

Me too.


Eric

Title: Forest light #3
Post by: Morris Taub on May 27, 2010, 04:58:03 pm
Forest Light #3 : Exquisite...
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: fredjeang on May 27, 2010, 07:00:32 pm
Yes,
and these kind of pics really are not shining on the web, but when seen printed they really impress.

By the way, when I was on the west coast many years ago, (from Vancouver Island, Nanaimo to Seattle) I've been told that there are some areas with a kind of micro-climate,
much hotter so suprisingly it affects the type of vegetation you should normally find on these latitudes.
Is it true?
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: RobSaecker on May 27, 2010, 08:04:16 pm
Quote from: fredjeang
By the way, when I was on the west coast many years ago, (from Vancouver Island, Nanaimo to Seattle) I've been told that there are some areas with a kind of micro-climate,
much hotter so suprisingly it affects the type of vegetation you should normally find on these latitudes.
Is it true?

Fred,

the west side of the Olympic Peninsula averages 12 feet/3.6 meters of rainfall a year. In the northeast corner of the peninsula you can find cactus growing. The rainshadow of the Olympic Mountains is quite dramatic.

Rob
robsaecker.com
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: fredjeang on May 27, 2010, 08:14:37 pm
Quote from: RobSaecker
Fred,

the west side of the Olympic Peninsula averages 12 feet/3.6 meters of rainfall a year. In the northeast corner of the peninsula you can find cactus growing. The rainshadow of the Olympic Mountains is quite dramatic.

Rob
robsaecker.com
I guess the moutain should block the clouds from the west, so a kind of foehn effect and dry on the east side. That makes sense.

But 3.6 meters!!! This is Cherrapunji...
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: RobSaecker on May 27, 2010, 08:29:24 pm
Quote from: fredjeang
But 3.6 meters!!! This is Cherrapunji...

I had to look up Cherrapunji, that's a wet place. I could't find an easy source for comparison, but I suspect rainfall on the Olympics doesn't spike as dramatically as Cherrapunji's does.
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: tnargs on May 27, 2010, 09:31:58 pm
Boring at first glance, but rewarding upon closer look.

I'm waiting for someone from the prime lens mafia to say "could have been sharper and more contrasty and less distorted".  
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: hsmeets on May 28, 2010, 02:59:28 am
Quote from: tnargs
Boring at first glance, but rewarding upon closer look.

I'm waiting for someone from the prime lens mafia to say "could have been sharper and more contrasty and less distorted".  


Avrebbe potuto essere più netto e più contrastato e meno distorto

Consigliere obiettivo a fuoco fisso.

:-)

Title: Forest light #3
Post by: David Hufford on May 28, 2010, 04:01:30 am
I like the Forest Light #3, but for me the most interesting of the series is Washed Up and Bare. Both of those remind me of the sights I remember when I used to live and often travel in Washington state. The latter is so familiar and so interesting to look at. Love it.
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: Colorwave on May 29, 2010, 03:42:31 pm
Absolutely gorgeous.  I'd really, really like to see what the details look like and find the web image to be a serious tease that leaves me wanting more. Out of context, I'd assume this to be digitally manipulated, but I suspect it was only manipulated by the lighting provided by Mother Nature.
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: michael on May 29, 2010, 11:26:50 pm
Totally straight. Thanks.

Michael
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: eyedias on May 31, 2010, 09:45:11 pm
Count me among the yay-sayers. I'm sure a gallery size print would be awesome.
Title: Forest light #3
Post by: Rob C on June 01, 2010, 03:33:46 am
Quote from: tnargs
Boring at first glance, but rewarding upon closer look.

I'm waiting for someone from the prime lens mafia to say "could have been sharper and more contrasty and less distorted".  



You see the magic of LuLa? Immediately below your request your wish was granted.

Rob C