Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Camera Raw Q&A => Topic started by: jsimons on May 24, 2010, 02:46:30 pm

Title: CS5 selection and content-aware tools
Post by: jsimons on May 24, 2010, 02:46:30 pm
I have looked at the Adobe site description of the selection and content-aware tools.  They frankly seem too good to be true.  My primary interest is an improved selection tool.  The video suggests with relative ease I can select, not only an object [the horse on the example] but it will distinguish between the fine hairs on the horses tail.  What experiences have you folks had?  Thank you.
Title: CS5 selection and content-aware tools
Post by: kjkahn on May 24, 2010, 02:59:41 pm
Quote from: jsimons
I have looked at the Adobe site description of the selection and content-aware tools. They frankly seem too good to be true. My primary interest is an improved selection tool. The video suggests with relative ease I can select, not only an object [the horse on the example] but it will distinguish between the fine hairs on the horses tail. What experiences have you folks had? Thank you.

I'm not sure if you mean this tutorial but Russell Brown does a very impressive demonstration of selecting a women's fine hair.

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/CS5MaskBasics_SM.mov (http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/CS5MaskBasics_SM.mov)
Title: CS5 selection and content-aware tools
Post by: jsimons on May 24, 2010, 03:04:12 pm
Quote from: kjkahn
I'm not sure if you mean this tutorial but Russell Brown does a very impressive demonstration of selecting a women's fine hair.

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/CS5MaskBasics_SM.mov (http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/CS5MaskBasics_SM.mov)
Title: CS5 selection and content-aware tools
Post by: jsimons on May 24, 2010, 03:43:49 pm
That is what I am talking about and wondering if anyone knows just how effective this tool is.
Title: CS5 selection and content-aware tools
Post by: keithrsmith on May 25, 2010, 02:13:20 am
download the 30 day trial and try it yourself.

Keith
Title: CS5 selection and content-aware tools
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on May 25, 2010, 04:14:27 pm
Quote from: keithrsmith
download the 30 day trial and try it yourself.

Keith
Great tutorial. Trouble is, as soon as I finish watching, I forget. Is this technique written down somewhere?
Thanks
Dave
Title: CS5 selection and content-aware tools
Post by: Farmer on May 26, 2010, 04:24:43 am
The new selection refinement tools are *very* effective.  The smart radius and colour decontamination features are really handy and effective.
Title: CS5 selection and content-aware tools
Post by: tived on June 01, 2010, 01:53:38 am
Its a great improvement, if it works as in the tutorial, well, sometimes it works better then expected and then there are times when you wonder. But it may also come down to learning a new tool and what makes it tick.
but I am very happy that I have the choice to use it, and I do use it now.

Henrik