Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on May 22, 2010, 02:17:28 pm

Title: PS CS5 question
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 22, 2010, 02:17:28 pm
I ask this question to demonstrate my general ignorance of PS.

Sometimes when I make a selection and hit the delete key, I get a dialog asking how I want to fill the deleted area: I can use content-aware (which is magical). Sometimes, PS just erases the selection and replaces it with the pale grey chequerboard.

Why? What is the setting that I've missed which will ensure that I always get the dialog?

Thanks

Jeremy
Title: PS CS5 question
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 23, 2010, 04:31:47 am
In case I misled people with my first sentence, that wasn't my only reason for asking the question!

Anyone? Please?

Jeremy
Title: PS CS5 question
Post by: tomrock on May 23, 2010, 08:17:35 am
If you're on the Background layer, you get the content aware fill when you delete.

If you're on another layer, just just deletes.

There may be other reasons that I don't know but this is one.
Title: PS CS5 question
Post by: na goodman on May 23, 2010, 08:36:25 am
When you are on another layer use shift delete for content aware fill.
Title: PS CS5 question
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 23, 2010, 12:04:53 pm
Thanks. I knew I must have been missing something.

Jeremy
Title: PS CS5 question
Post by: wolfnowl on May 23, 2010, 03:07:43 pm
Quote from: kikashi
Thanks. I knew I must have been missing something.

Jeremy

Thanks for asking - I was wondering that myself.

Mike.
Title: PS CS5 question
Post by: walter.sk on May 24, 2010, 11:43:58 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
Thanks for asking - I was wondering that myself.

Mike.
And if you don't want to remember 2 diferent settings, you can always bring up the content-aware fill dialogue with Shift F5.
Title: PS CS5 question
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on May 25, 2010, 04:17:39 pm
Quote from: wolfnowl
Thanks for asking - I was wondering that myself.

Mike.
Me too. I have beeen making a selection, then Edit>Fill>Content aware
Dave
Title: PS CS5 question
Post by: daws on May 25, 2010, 04:58:39 pm
In a layer or background, my habit is to right-click on the selection, click Fill (right-or-left click), then choose from the "Contents" drop-down menu.