Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Josh-H on May 09, 2010, 11:31:24 pm

Title: Questions about True B&W RIP
Post by: Josh-H on May 09, 2010, 11:31:24 pm
I have downloaded the trial of the True B&W RIP - and watched the videos. http://www.trueblackandwhite.com/ (http://www.trueblackandwhite.com/)

Bear in mind - I have never actually used a RIP before as I have found the Canon IPF printer driver to do a pretty good job - lately though I have been struggling to get good sepia toned prints and this RIP is supposed to shine for this.

What I have found after playing with the demo is a number of questions:

1. How to handle output sharpening? I normally print from lightroom as I really like the output sharpening - however, if I understand correctly, then I now need to output sharpen in Photoshop before opening the file for print in the RIP - correct?

2. I assume the image still needs to get soft proofed for its dynamic range in Photoshop since the RIP cant do this.

Anyone else using True Black and White and have some/any advice?

X-posted to the Canon Wiki.

thanks
Title: Questions about True B&W RIP
Post by: colinm on May 10, 2010, 02:28:02 am
If you like Lightroom's output sharpening, you can continue to use it; you always have the option to print to a file. Simply feed that file to the RIP and you get the best of both worlds.
Title: Questions about True B&W RIP
Post by: Josh-H on May 10, 2010, 02:29:17 am
Quote from: colinm
If you like Lightroom's output sharpening, you can continue to use it; you always have the option to print to a file. Simply feed that file to the RIP and you get the best of both worlds.

Excellent point - that had not occurred to me.