Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Phinius on May 06, 2010, 01:06:09 pm

Title: Canon 7D and 45 megapixels
Post by: Phinius on May 06, 2010, 01:06:09 pm
In same article its states: "I thought I'd try using the higher resolution sensor of a 7D. This would be equivalent to a 45 megapixel full-frame sensor."

What did he mean by this? I know megapixels are not the only factor when considering the resolving power of a camera system, but I don't get this quote.
Title: Canon 7D and 45 megapixels
Post by: runee on May 07, 2010, 07:17:09 am
Quote from: rjohn1388
In same article its states: "I thought I'd try using the higher resolution sensor of a 7D. This would be equivalent to a 45 megapixel full-frame sensor."

What did he mean by this? I know megapixels are not the only factor when considering the resolving power of a camera system, but I don't get this quote.


I'm guessing it has to do with Pixel size vs. Sensor size. The 7D is an APS-C sized sensor (if I remember right) and the 5d2 is a fullframe. with respectively 18 vs. 21 mp resolution. So, my guess is, that if you extrapolate the much denser pixels of the small sensor, up to that of a fullframe, you'd end up at 45MP, thus the "higher resolution" (But the smaller sensor area, means less actual pixels on it)
Title: Canon 7D and 45 megapixels
Post by: Phinius on May 07, 2010, 01:49:06 pm
Quote from: runee
I'm guessing it has to do with Pixel size vs. Sensor size. The 7D is an APS-C sized sensor (if I remember right) and the 5d2 is a fullframe. with respectively 18 vs. 21 mp resolution. So, my guess is, that if you extrapolate the much denser pixels of the small sensor, up to that of a fullframe, you'd end up at 45MP, thus the "higher resolution" (But the smaller sensor area, means less actual pixels on it)
Thanks. That's a bettter guess than I had.