Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: walter.sk on May 03, 2010, 07:31:59 pm
-
I just downloaded the Photoshop CS5 trial version, and tried pointing the Plug-ins Folder option in the Prefs file at my CS4 Plug-ins folder. while I didn't expect that this would work for the 64 bit version, it did work for the 32-bit version without having to reinstall a bunch of filters. So far, everything seems to work just fine by pointing to the CS4 Plug-Ins folder.
These are the filters I tried:
Focus Magic
NIK: DFine 2, Color Efex 3, Silver Efex, and Viveza 2.
Topaz: the latest versions of Adjust, Clean, Detail, Remask, Simplify, Denoise and DeJpeg.
Vertus: Fluid Mask 3.
No crashes, freezes strange cursors, etc. At least for the 32 bit version there is no need to reinstall the filters.
-
I just downloaded the Photoshop CS5 trial version, and tried pointing the Plug-ins Folder option in the Prefs file at my CS4 Plug-ins folder. while I didn't expect that this would work for the 64 bit version, it did work for the 32-bit version without having to reinstall a bunch of filters.
If you are pointing CS5 to use the root level CS4 plug-ins, that is not at all a good idea...you seriously don't want to have CS4 plug-ins loading in CS5. You would be a lot better off moving the 3rd party plug-ins over to the CS5 plug-ins folder. Really, while it might be alright for the 3rd party plug-ins, you will end up having issues when running CS4 plug-ins in CS5...
-
If you are pointing CS5 to use the root level CS4 plug-ins, that is not at all a good idea...you seriously don't want to have CS4 plug-ins loading in CS5. You would be a lot better off moving the 3rd party plug-ins over to the CS5 plug-ins folder. Really, while it might be alright for the 3rd party plug-ins, you will end up having issues when running CS4 plug-ins in CS5...
Thanks, Jeff. Duh! Never thought about the possible double reference to Adobe's own plugins!
A little bit of knowledge goes a long way--toward unintended consequences!
-
Walter -- since Jeff's post have you had a chance to try FocusMagic in CS5 from within the CS5 plugins folder? I'm about to upgrade to CS5 and move to a 64-bit machine & am curious if FM will work.
I emailed Acclaim asking them when/if on a 64-bit port for FM -- they replied right away, but have no release date as of yet.
Thx.
-
Walter -- since Jeff's post have you had a chance to try FocusMagic in CS5 from within the CS5 plugins folder? I'm about to upgrade to CS5 and move to a 64-bit machine & am curious if FM will work.
I emailed Acclaim asking them when/if on a 64-bit port for FM -- they replied right away, but have no release date as of yet.
Thx.
I copied the Focus Magic folder into the Plug-Ins folder in CS5-32 bit, and it works just fine. I no longer just point CS5's Plug-ins page in the preferences to the CS4 Plug-Ins because of possible problems with Adobe's own plugins. (See earlier post in this thread.)
Ultimately, I think I will put the 3rd party 32-bit plug-ins in their own folder and then point both CS4 and CS5 to that folder.
So far, I have no problems with any of my 3rd party filters in CS5 32-bits, including all the NIK stuff, Vertus Fluid Mask, all of the Topaz plugins, and, to some extent, Image Align.
So far, only NIK Viveza 2 and the Topaz 64-bit plug-ins work in CS5, and have to be specifically installed.