Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: jani on June 28, 2005, 03:32:29 am
-
You might notice the difference, unless the performance of microdrives has improved since this test on Rob Galbraith:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_pag...p?cid=6007-7344 (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7344)
-
I am a microdrive user with a D2x. I don't know about reliability with the Canon (hopefully they can fix the problem), from what I've read the problem is with some brands/types of CF cards also.
But the question to me is can the drive keep up. The uber cameras have sizable buffers and if your shooting rate is typical, then effectively my microdrives are the same as a fast CF card. The additional speed of the CF card is wasted in my usage. If your a sports shooter, or equivalent, then the fast card dumps the buffer faster and will allow the camera to keep up. Landscape/wildlife is rarely fast shooting so you will likely never know the difference.
I have yet to experience any holdup due to using a microdrive, but then I don't hammer 30 shoots with the shutter release held down. If you need speed then the fastest card is where you want to be (Extreme III), a slower CF card is just a bandaid (II).
-
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I found 4GB SanDisk Ultra II compact flash for sale, of all places, on Dell.com. $329 each, plus free shipping.
Bud
-
I've had good luck with Hitachi microdrives (4GB) and 1GB and 2GB SanDisk Ultra Compactflash cards.
No I'm about to add a Canon 1Ds MkII to complement my 1D MkII and 20D bodies.
4GB microdrives can be had for $189, however, the 4GB SanDisk Ultra II and Extreme III cards are $289 and 369 respectively.
Will I really notice the speed difference or save the bucks and stick with microdrives?
Thanks.
Bud
-
Budjames, I've read too many sad posts about the 1Ds mark 2 and the 4GB drives. As I understand it things have been remedied lately; hopefully people will post their most recent experiences. Best,
J
PS I've never received an answer comparing the speeds of 2 kinds of compact storage. (Could this be because most photographers would want to keep their memory card types consistent?) What the forum says is a #, but how that # translates into the moment is another story. Said another way: you can measure time numerically... but how does that translate to your average circumsatnces?
-
I use a 4 GB Microdrive, and 1DS MkII. Recently I was stalking a heron and shot many bursts of shots in an attempt to get the perfect moment when he had the fish just right. Several times I was frustrated, when I hit the shutter release (thinking this was the shot of a lifetime) and the camera did not respond-it was writing to the card. I have several 1 GB compact flash cards, and I now use these for bird shooting. But I 100% agree for landscape photography (90% of my work), you won't see a diference with microdrives.
Good luck with the 1Ds Mk II....it is awsome. I make and sell 20"x30" seascapes routinely (www.modernpictorials.com)
Dave