Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: natas on April 30, 2010, 11:35:02 am

Title: Borderless 7900 help
Post by: natas on April 30, 2010, 11:35:02 am
Hey guys,

This has always confused me with previous epson printers.

Lets say I have a roll of 24 inch paper on a 7900. I have a picture with dimensions of 24x30 and I want the print to come out to those exact dimensions. I am a little confused because it says that I can do either auto-expand or retain size. The retain size option mentioned enlarging the size of the photo. What is my workflow for this on the image? I am confused because the manual says to enlarge the image for Retain Size.

So for a 24x30 print do I enlarge the image in photoshop to be 24.23 x 30.23? My concern here is the actual length of the image will be 30.23 and not 30. Or do I need to uprez everything then crop it to 24.23x30. This is a little confusing to me, I just want to make sure that the overall image will be 24x30. I would hate to send a client something they plan to frame that is not exactly 24x30
Title: Borderless 7900 help
Post by: Wayne Fox on April 30, 2010, 02:16:54 pm
Quote from: natas
Hey guys,

This has always confused me with previous epson printers.

Lets say I have a roll of 24 inch paper on a 7900. I have a picture with dimensions of 24x30 and I want the print to come out to those exact dimensions. I am a little confused because it says that I can do either auto-expand or retain size. The retain size option mentioned enlarging the size of the photo. What is my workflow for this on the image? I am confused because the manual says to enlarge the image for Retain Size.

So for a 24x30 print do I enlarge the image in photoshop to be 24.23 x 30.23? My concern here is the actual length of the image will be 30.23 and not 30. Or do I need to uprez everything then crop it to 24.23x30. This is a little confusing to me, I just want to make sure that the overall image will be 24x30. I would hate to send a client something they plan to frame that is not exactly 24x30
Best solution is just use the auto expand option. The other option doesn't really gain you anything, as you have to manually do something the printer can automatically do.

If you want the print to be exactly 30" long, you can use the auto cut/double cut option.  I've printed large jobs of big prints that needed exact lengths and rather than trimming each one, using this option I can get them to exact length.
Title: Borderless 7900 help
Post by: natas on April 30, 2010, 02:38:02 pm
Quote from: Wayne Fox
Best solution is just use the auto expand option. The other option doesn't really gain you anything, as you have to manually do something the printer can automatically do.

If you want the print to be exactly 30" long, you can use the auto cut/double cut option.  I've printed large jobs of big prints that needed exact lengths and rather than trimming each one, using this option I can get them to exact length.

So if I use auto expand I don't have to worry about scaling the image? And with this option set (auto expand and auto double cut) my print will come out exactly 30 inches long?
Title: Borderless 7900 help
Post by: Wayne Fox on April 30, 2010, 07:28:10 pm
Quote from: natas
So if I use auto expand I don't have to worry about scaling the image? And with this option set (auto expand and auto double cut) my print will come out exactly 30 inches long?
Yes.  the driver will handle making sure it prints borderless ... slightly expanding its size so it can run over the edges.

As far as the cutting to exact length, it has been a while since I did that job, but I'm pretty sure all I did to get the images precut to exact length was choose the double cut option.  (It's been about a year since I did that job, at my age details like this are a little more challenging to recall).
Title: Borderless 7900 help
Post by: Wayne Fox on April 30, 2010, 07:29:42 pm
deleted ... double post