Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Bill Koenig on April 23, 2010, 03:07:38 pm
-
This has been going on for quite a while now, bridge has been very slow opening anything.
Well, I found out why last night. I use Symantec antivirus as I get it free from where I work, and I think this all started after moving to v11 two years ago.
The other day I read something about making image file extensions exempt in your antivirus software, so I made NEF, PSD, PSB, TIFF, file extensions exempt.
Fired up bridge and low and behold, now it works like it use to. Before it was taking 30 to 60 seconds just open a single folder, and even longer to make high quality thumbnails, it would just freeze. Now it takes 1 second to do the same thing. I can't believe its taken me this long to figure this out
-
Yes, the "Symantec effect" has come up in other threads as well. The most useful feature of this software is the Uninstall utility - and even that can be only partially useful; sometimes it needs a more sophisticated uninstaller available on their website. There are one or two other AV products which protect our computers with much less collateral impact.
-
Yes, the "Symantec effect" has come up in other threads as well. The most useful feature of this software is the Uninstall utility - and even that can be only partially useful; sometimes it needs a more sophisticated uninstaller available on their website. There are one or two other AV products which protect our computers with much less collateral impact.
The best buy for the money is Microsoft Security Essentials. Can't beat the price - It's Free!!!!
-
Does it gum-up your computer?
I'm using Trend-Micro (not expensive) and so far so good in terms of both protection and functionality.
-
We use and recommend Trend for corporate / managed environments (aka hearding cats), as it not only is pattern based, but also behavior based.
MS Security Essentials has similar behavior, but it's overhead on machine performance is significantly less than Trend. It's also the only native 64bit security product.
-
So John are you recopmmending that for home users Microsoft Security Essentials would be a preferable product to Trend Micro (operating on a 32 bit plastform)?
-
I've used both and yes
-
I've had the MS product on my computer ever since the announced that Live One Care was being discontinued. I have not had any problems at all with it. My last experience with Symantec was about two 1/2 years ago when I had to upgrade to a new version. The program didn't install properly and their help desk was abominable. The nice thing about ordering a custom built PC is that you get a clean machine with only the OS loaded.
-
This has been going on for quite a while now, bridge has been very slow opening anything.
Well, I found out why last night. I use Symantec antivirus as I get it free from where I work, and I think this all started after moving to v11 two years ago.
The other day I read something about making image file extensions exempt in your antivirus software, so I made NEF, PSD, PSB, TIFF, file extensions exempt.
Fired up bridge and low and behold, now it works like it use to. Before it was taking 30 to 60 seconds just open a single folder, and even longer to make high quality thumbnails, it would just freeze. Now it takes 1 second to do the same thing. I can't believe its taken me this long to figure this out
Thank you for solving a long-standing mystery I had given up hope of ever solving ... I can now use Bridge again ...
THANK YOU!
-
I've used both and yes
Thanks John. I should give it whirl.
-
I moved over to MSE after Joh recommended it recently (moving from Avast! for 64 bit) and it's been excellent. No system impact, and doesn't pop up in my face. Very pleased.
-
Thank you for solving a long-standing mystery I had given up hope of ever solving ... I can now use Bridge again ...
THANK YOU!
Jeremy,
More than happy to help out, that's exactly why I posted this. I figured that I wasn't the only one, and to think I lived with this for so long. If possible, it makes sense to do this with any antivirus software.
-
Further on where to look for AV software to be careful about, havea look at this, which came accross my screen this morning:
McAfee Problem (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/357520/mcafee-to-pay-for-pc-repairs-after-patch-fiasco)
-
The PC Mag review of Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't look too good.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353386,00.asp (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353386,00.asp)
--Milt--
-
There may also be more issues than what they say: I learned from another review (forget which one) that it also has signficant privacy implications becauses it collects browsing information as part of its detection system.