Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Oldfox on April 21, 2010, 01:06:37 pm

Title: Sharpen more or less for Canvas
Post by: Oldfox on April 21, 2010, 01:06:37 pm
I have a photo which is printed on A3 Ilford Smooth Pearl Paper. I am happy with the result.

When I print the same photo and same size on canvas (Epson Water Resistant Matte Canvas), should I use more/same amount/less sharpening than on the paper?
Title: Sharpen more or less for Canvas
Post by: k_p98 on April 21, 2010, 05:16:15 pm
Absolutely more!  It should actually look oversharpened, not something you would want to display on your screen, but once printed, it will give that same screen sharpness.  I find I also zoom in to just 50% in photoshop and look at it that way as a way to simulate a little.  At 100% it might look too sharp, but if at 50% it looks good, then it should print good as well.

Title: Sharpen more or less for Canvas
Post by: neile on April 22, 2010, 10:47:29 am
This is where the value of the "Capture -> Creative -> Output" sharpening technique really shines. For canvas the only change I make is to switch to Matte/High in Lightroom's print module. The sharpening in the develop module remains the same.

Neil
Title: Sharpen more or less for Canvas
Post by: Wayne Fox on April 23, 2010, 01:58:59 am
Quote from: Oldfox
I have a photo which is printed on A3 Ilford Smooth Pearl Paper. I am happy with the result.

When I print the same photo and same size on canvas (Epson Water Resistant Matte Canvas), should I use more/same amount/less sharpening than on the paper?
I would guess printing on that canvas you would need more, but it may not really matter, as the epson canvas really doesn't hold detail very well.