Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: solardarkroom.com on April 12, 2010, 03:24:51 pm
-
I suspect you'll think I work for the company but the fact is I know all of us want the fastest uploads possible from our Compact Flash cards. I've been using a Firewire 800 card reader from SanDISK for a few years but could no longer use Firewire on my MacPro due to hardware conflicts. I did some research and found there is now an eSATA interface:
http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_mem...er/AEPDDESU.asp (http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/AEPDDESU.asp)
I took a leap, spent the $65 and think it was worth it. I did a comparison and it uploads about 50% faster than Firewire 800. I you have lots of large files to upload, and an eSATA connection on your computer then this might interest you.
The only problem I've had so far is that when my Mac boots with no CF card in the slot it tells me there is an unrecognizable disk. I just click ignore. Otherwise the compact flash card mounts and dismounts as usual.
That's my public service for the week.
Happy Shooting,
David
PS I added eSATA ports to my MacPro via PCIe cards.
-
Huh, thanks for the link.
I've been using the Sandisk FW800 reader for a while, and finally got some fast cards to use with it. Upload speeds are much improved, so I bought a USB2 UDMA reader (Lexar) so I can use both at the same time. Now I can add an eSATA card and another reader, and download three cards at once at full (mostly) speed.
-
I'm in the process of building an external usb powered esata Cf Card reader. The thing flies and I may even offer it for others if I can get a case manufacturer on board.
-
I'm in the process of building an external usb powered esata Cf Card reader. The thing flies and I may even offer it for others if I can get a case manufacturer on board.
Good luck with your venture! I think many of this forum's visitors are interested in speed. When I come home with several hundred 21megapixel RAW files I really appreciate the extra speed eSATA provides. And if USB3 lives up to its potential we may see another speed-boost in the near future.
-
Has anyone tried this on a Mac? Do you add an eSATA card into the express card slot?