Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: trentf on April 07, 2010, 01:20:06 pm

Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: trentf on April 07, 2010, 01:20:06 pm
I  believe this is the correct place to post this.....  I am looking for a source for black metal frames... the kind I can put together since I need odd sizes...  I have found some places on line that sell them but they are not for stretched canvas....  with stretcher bars and canvas I am have a thickness of about 5/8 of an inch... any help would be much appreciated
Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on April 07, 2010, 01:31:58 pm
Quote from: trentf
I  believe this is the correct place to post this.....  I am looking for a source for black metal frames... the kind I can put together since I need odd sizes...  I have found some places on line that sell them but they are not for stretched canvas....  with stretcher bars and canvas I am have a thickness of about 5/8 of an inch... any help would be much appreciated
Frame Destination (http://www.framedestination.com/) offers a variety of different types of Nielsen frames.  the Profile 12 frame comes close to the 5/8" you need.  they do cut custom sizes.  I've ordered from them in the past and they are prompt and courteous.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: Richowens on April 07, 2010, 01:34:24 pm
Trent,

 See if these are what you want.

Frame Fit (http://www.framefit.com/index.cfm/action/shop/catID/1/colID/1/mode/collectiondetail.htm)

The folks here are very quick and efficient. Been using them for about five years now. Always helpful.

Rich

Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: Ken on April 07, 2010, 01:35:13 pm
Speaking of frames... 21 days after ordering it, I received my "wood" frame today from a company that I had dealt with a few years ago. Back then, they did a good job. This time, the frame had hand prints all over the white paint; the backing board was ragged along the edges and not even straight; the corners were improperly mitered and did not meet flush. And... you won't believe this... the "wood" frame is PRESSBOARD, and not even good quality pressboard! My guess is the place is under new ownership.

Be careful about buying frames by mail.

On the other hand... A couple weeks ago, I received 14 frames, 8-ply mats and backing board from framedestination.com just a few days after I ordered them. EVERYTHING was absolutely perfect, as usual. (The only reason I went back to the other place is because I wanted to match another frame that I bought from them two years ago and framedestination didn't carry it.)

 

Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: dgberg on April 07, 2010, 01:37:00 pm
American Frame . Great service and excellent pricing.
You must be thinking of a floater frame. Stretched canvas stapled to the sides of the stretcher frame. Then installed in a floater frame. makes a very nice installation. The sidewall depth of the frames are just under 1 1/2" and are made for taking stretcher frames of at least 7/8" thick.
American has them.
Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: Bill Koenig on April 08, 2010, 02:46:06 pm
I buy from the following, there prices are good and shipped promptly.
http://www.decorframe.com/index.php (http://www.decorframe.com/index.php)
Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: fdi on April 08, 2010, 09:34:59 pm
Trent, we sell Nielsen profile 117  (http://www.framedestination.com/moulding_metal/nielsen_profile_117/item/mdmeta0117/)that has 13/16 depth. If you like I can send you a sample.

Cheers,
Mark (http://blog.framedestination.com/)
Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/FrameDestination), Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/framermark)
Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: framah on April 09, 2010, 11:27:42 am
Neilsen metal frames that capture the art ... I use #117 it is deep enough 13/16".  #22 has a 1" depth but not much overlap on the top. #94 is 3/4" deep and has a 5/8" overlap on the top.

If you ARE wanting to float frame them, Neilsen has 2 that are floaters...

#13 and #14   You screw threw holes in the back of the frame into the wood of the art.

Hope this gives you more choices in your framing.
Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: TylerB on April 09, 2010, 12:01:22 pm
Please consider Frame Destination and use your business with them to support Aardenberg's important work for our medium, you will find the relevant info here-
http://aardenburg-imaging.com/index.html (http://aardenburg-imaging.com/index.html)
Tyler
Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: Jack Flesher on April 09, 2010, 02:39:38 pm
I use United MFRS for most of my framing, mounting and matting supplies: http://www.unitedmfrscatalog.com/home/index.htm (http://www.unitedmfrscatalog.com/home/index.htm)
Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on April 09, 2010, 03:04:50 pm
Quote from: Richowens
Trent,

 See if these are what you want.

Frame Fit (http://www.framefit.com/index.cfm/action/shop/catID/1/colID/1/mode/collectiondetail.htm)

The folks here are very quick and efficient. Been using them for about five years now. Always helpful.

Rich
I agree. I have been using them for about 20 years. They usually ship same day when I phone in an order. I live close enough that I get next day delivery via UPS. I was personal friends with the person that founded the company. He has passed away, and his son is keeping up the excellent service.
Dave
Title: Looking for metal frames
Post by: trentf on April 26, 2010, 03:12:48 pm
Thanks to everyone for their input... that helped a lot.