Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: StephenOzcomert on April 06, 2010, 01:00:34 am

Title: Canon Printer Plug-In Not supported in 64 bit. Options?
Post by: StephenOzcomert on April 06, 2010, 01:00:34 am
I am a long time lurker here.  I recently purchased a new printer (Canon IPF 8300).  I have read good things about the print plug-in and how it allows you to print in 16 bit.  I was confused as to how to access the printer plug in and I finally read that the plug-in is not supported when running Photoshop in 64 bit mode.  I am running a Windows 7 machine and naturally thought the best thing to do was to run PS CS4 in 64 bit mode.  Is there any way to switch on the fly between 64 bit and 32 bit photoshop or do I need to uninstall and reinstall PS CS4 in order to access the print plug-in.  Is it worth running PS in 32 bit to gain access to the plug-in?  Thanks for any thoughts.
Title: Canon Printer Plug-In Not supported in 64 bit. Options?
Post by: Etienne Cassar on April 06, 2010, 05:27:51 am
Quote from: StephenOzcomert
I am a long time lurker here.  I recently purchased a new printer (Canon IPF 8300).  I have read good things about the print plug-in and how it allows you to print in 16 bit.  I was confused as to how to access the printer plug in and I finally read that the plug-in is not supported when running Photoshop in 64 bit mode.  I am running a Windows 7 machine and naturally thought the best thing to do was to run PS CS4 in 64 bit mode.  Is there any way to switch on the fly between 64 bit and 32 bit photoshop or do I need to uninstall and reinstall PS CS4 in order to access the print plug-in.  Is it worth running PS in 32 bit to gain access to the plug-in?  Thanks for any thoughts.

The Canon print plugin can only be accessed in the 32bit version of Photoshop. When you install photoshop CS4 in Windows 7, both the 64bit and 32 bit versions will be installed.  I do all editing in the 64bit version, and save as PSD, then I close photoshop and open the 32bit version to do the printing only.  I prefer printing through the plugin and this is the workflow that I follow.  It will be much better if Canon issue a plug in for the 64bit version of photoshop, but for now we have to stick to this workflow.
Hope that it helps.

Etienne
Title: Canon Printer Plug-In Not supported in 64 bit. Options?
Post by: Doyle Yoder on April 06, 2010, 07:15:04 am
Quote from: StephenOzcomert
I am a long time lurker here.  I recently purchased a new printer (Canon IPF 8300).  I have read good things about the print plug-in and how it allows you to print in 16 bit.  I was confused as to how to access the printer plug in and I finally read that the plug-in is not supported when running Photoshop in 64 bit mode.  I am running a Windows 7 machine and naturally thought the best thing to do was to run PS CS4 in 64 bit mode.  Is there any way to switch on the fly between 64 bit and 32 bit photoshop or do I need to uninstall and reinstall PS CS4 in order to access the print plug-in.  Is it worth running PS in 32 bit to gain access to the plug-in?  Thanks for any thoughts.

This is listed on Canon's Japan site as a 64bit plugin.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0100002611/0...D-Win64-410.exe (http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0100002611/01/iPF8300-PinD-Win64-410.exe)

Doyle
Title: Canon Printer Plug-In Not supported in 64 bit. Options?
Post by: Scott Martin on April 06, 2010, 09:44:09 am
Canon's USA website can be a little confusing. If you goto the downloads page for your printer and select WIN7(64) for your OS, you'll see two plug-ins. The second one is the 64bit version and has this name "iPF8300-PinD-Win64-410.exe" - note the Win64 portion near the end of the filename.
Title: Canon Printer Plug-In Not supported in 64 bit. Options?
Post by: neile on April 06, 2010, 10:36:29 am
Quote from: Onsight
Canon's USA website can be a little confusing. If you goto the downloads page for your printer and select WIN7(64) for your OS, you'll see two plug-ins. The second one is the 64bit version and has this name "iPF8300-PinD-Win64-410.exe" - note the Win64 portion near the end of the filename.

That download will run on 64-bit windows, but the plug-in is still 32-bit only. You have to close the 64-bit Photoshop version when you are done your edits and launch the 32-bit version to get at the plug-in and print your image. The notes on that download say:

"When Photoshop CS4 is installed on a system with a 64-bit Windows OS, both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Photoshop CS4 are installed. Note that Print Plug-In only supports the 32-bit version of Photoshop CS4. It does not operate in the 64-bit version of Photoshop CS4."

The Canon iPF wiki is a great source of information for your new printer, by the way. You can read it at http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/ (http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/).

Neil
Title: Canon Printer Plug-In Not supported in 64 bit. Options?
Post by: StephenOzcomert on April 06, 2010, 10:48:30 am
Thanks very much for the helpful replies!  I did not realize that both 32 and 64 bit versions of PS were installed at the same time.  That makes for a workable solution.  I wonder why they cannot make the plug-in work with the 64 bit version.  Oh well....Also, appreciate the link to the wiki.