Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Colorwave on April 02, 2010, 04:13:56 am

Title: Suffering for your art
Post by: Colorwave on April 02, 2010, 04:13:56 am
Here is the new paradigm for getting low POV shots in an African watering hole.  Just add suffering, and presto!

Awesome shots, but I think I prefer to leave this to others and wait for the coffee table book.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...ing-months.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1253935/Photographer-captures-amazing-images-lions-watering-hole-submerging-months.html)
Title: Suffering for your art
Post by: bradleygibson on April 02, 2010, 04:41:56 am
I've never suffered like that guy...

I was shooting in India for three weeks and spent some time hiking and shooting in the Himalayas.  Somehow I'd managed not to get sick *UNTIL* we got up into the mountains.  THE worst.  Then, I couldn't even stand the smell of an apple without wanting to wretch.  It wasn't altitude sickness, just Delhi belly.  I suffered for my art on that trip.

The view of Kanchenjunga that we sought was completely socked in when we got there.  Just to give you an idea of what the photo looked like (http://www.mantatech.com/manta/blankwht.htm).  Heartbreaking at the time, but you know, builds character and all that.  
Title: Suffering for your art
Post by: Colorwave on April 02, 2010, 04:51:56 am
Wow, Brad.  That looks like it would be worth quite a lot of hardship.  I would have preferred to see it shot with a medium format camera, though, for a nicer 3-D effect.  Oops, heading off topic . . .