Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mcristaldi on March 31, 2010, 12:13:33 pm
-
Dear Forum,
as first message on this board I add a small introduction to my work. I'm an Italian fine art photographer doing mainly architectural works.
Over the last time I've mainly printed with a Lambda Durst on Kodak Endura Ultra for medium-to-big size works and on a EPSON 3800 for up to A2 sizes. I got a very good offer for a brand new HP Z3200 44" and decided to jump into the big machine.
Now, since most of my works are mounted on DIBOND and - often - under PLEXI/DIASEC, I would like to have some advice on the "best paper" for this task. Did already some research on this board and found some hints, but not definitive...
Suggestions are really welcome. So far I've used mainly HM papers on the 3800 (fine art baryta) but I know that face mounting works with VERY SMOOTH (and possibly glossy) surfaces...
From my collection of suggestions it seams that the HP premium instant dry gloss photo paper can be a good choice. Also found on the web the attached document where a set of paper seams to work well with Diasec: http://www.filmolux.com.fr/ima/diasec/agrement.pdf (http://www.filmolux.com.fr/ima/diasec/agrement.pdf) - Most of them are, however, matte papers....
Massimo
-
Dear Forum,
as first message on this board I add a small introduction to my work. I'm an Italian fine art photographer doing mainly architectural works.
Over the last time I've mainly printed with a Lambda Durst on Kodak Endura Ultra for medium-to-big size works and on a EPSON 3800 for up to A2 sizes. I got a very good offer for a brand new HP Z3200 44" and decided to jump into the big machine.
Now, since most of my works are mounted on DIBOND and - often - under PLEXI/DIASEC, I would like to have some advice on the "best paper" for this task. Did already some research on this board and found some hints, but not definitive...
Suggestions are really welcome. So far I've used mainly HM papers on the 3800 (fine art baryta) but I know that face mounting works with VERY SMOOTH (and possibly glossy) surfaces...
From my collection of suggestions it seams that the HP premium instant dry gloss photo paper can be a good choice. Also found on the web the attached document where a set of paper seams to work well with Diasec: http://www.filmolux.com.fr/ima/diasec/agrement.pdf (http://www.filmolux.com.fr/ima/diasec/agrement.pdf) - Most of them are, however, matte papers....
Massimo
Printer arrived. Very simple installation and unboxing process. Simply added Hahnemuehle profiles downloaded from the HM website. Calibrated and Profiled the fine art baryta in 20 minutes, automatically (I was tediously doing this process manually with a Datacolor profiler for my Epson 3800). Printed the first shot to compare with Epson. Wow, perfect result. More precise color redention then the one I have on the Epson, especially on dark nights blue skies. Look a little bit more tridimensional. I'm impressed. Now will try and HP premium instant dry gloss and compare with a couple of Lambda I have in house.... Will post the results. In the meantime any suggestion on the subject topic is really appreciated...
Massimo
-
Hi Massimo,
You should check the archives of the "wide inkjet printers" list maintained by Ernst.
There was a discussion on this subject a few months ago.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)
best,
denis
-
Hi Massimo,
You should check the archives of the "wide inkjet printers" list maintained by Ernst.
There was a discussion on this subject a few months ago.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)
best,
denis
Hi Denis,
thank you for the Tip. This is the list of suggestion I collected so far with relative links, just for the benefit of other readers with similar needs:
From: One of my vendors here in Italy
MATTE: Epson Doubleweight Matte Paper gr180(esite in rotolo da cm111.8x25m o cm162x25m) - Digigraphie Process, mainly epson stuff
GLOSSY: KODAK Premium Rapid Dry Glossy 260gr da 17" - asked to Kodak wich paper is the most similar, according to them, to the Kodak endura ultra
GLOSSY: Canson Photo High Gloss RC 315gr or PhotoGloss 270gr, up to 17"
From: Luminous Landscape - http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=42337 (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42337)
Hahnemuhle Photorag Baryta
Innova Semi-Matte ( called satin in Europe)
Crane Silver Rag (non-oba) and Innova Ultra-Smooth Gloss ( aka Epson Exhibition Fiber also with oba )
Canson Platinum Rag
Canson Plantine
Moab Colorado Fiber
From: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lo...php/t24018.html (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t24018.html)
Harman gloss
From: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lo...php/t19123.html (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t19123.html)
Hahnemühle smooth fine art
HP satin papers
From: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=42228 (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42228)
ILford Omnijet Photo Gloss White Film - 195gsm
HP premium instant dry gloss photo paper
From: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_In...rs/message/2544 (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/message/2544)
Fuji Luster 200 gr
HP Premium Instant Dry
My agenda is to give a try to the HP Premium papers, to the Kodak (just for curiosity) and maybe to the Fuji (difficult to find in Italy). Since I have the HM PhotoRag in house I will also try this matte paper. Then will send all to wilcovak and see the results....
Any additional hint is of course welcome.
Massimo