Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: PierreVandevenne on March 29, 2010, 04:36:31 pm

Title: TinyEye
Post by: PierreVandevenne on March 29, 2010, 04:36:31 pm
I stumbled upon this

http://www.tineye.com/ (http://www.tineye.com/)

I am probably a bit late in discovering its existence, but I was impressed by some of the results I got. I couldn't find the name in a board search, so it probably hasn't been discussed here yet. Apparently the work of a small Canadian company  http://ideeinc.com/ (http://ideeinc.com/)

(I have of course absolutely no connection with this company)
Title: TinyEye
Post by: wolfnowl on March 29, 2010, 08:13:24 pm
Looks intriguing.  I wonder how it separates out 'the' image from places where a million images have been taken.

Mike.
Title: TinyEye
Post by: jjj on March 30, 2010, 12:56:43 am
It's clever stuff, but they are still in process of indexing which takes time. So not everything that could be found will be at the moment.
But what struck me when I came across this a while back is that once fully indexed, there will be no excuse for people not knowing where an online image came from and claiming it's an orphan work.
Title: TinyEye
Post by: PierreVandevenne on March 30, 2010, 04:54:32 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
Looks intriguing.  I wonder how it separates out 'the' image from places where a million images have been taken.

Yes, that seems to be a weak point at this time: it did find that a couple of the pictures I posted on Fotki a few years a ago have been reused. (not a big deal as far as I am concerned). But it matched most of my astronomy images with similar images of the same object taken by others. I guess it won't be to useful for landscape photographers who shoot the same thing over and over. As a test, I also picked up a few images from public profile on dating sites and could locate a couple of matches with pictures posted elsewhere. At some point, when their index has grown, the possibilities beyond copyright enforcement are amazing.
Title: TinyEye
Post by: francois on March 30, 2010, 08:29:47 am
Thanks for sharing. It's an interesting idea and I tried several of my images with mixed success. I guess that it's only the beginning and the engine will improve.
Title: TinyEye
Post by: vydalex on March 30, 2010, 09:36:32 am

Quote from: PierreVandevenne
http://www.tineye.com/ (http://www.tineye.com/)

Thanks for the link
Title: TinyEye
Post by: EduPerez on March 31, 2010, 02:14:26 am
None of my photographs seems to have been 'reused' anywhere else; still do not know whether I should feel happy or sad...