Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Jeremy Payne on March 26, 2010, 10:55:40 am

Title: Detail panel
Post by: Jeremy Payne on March 26, 2010, 10:55:40 am
How come the NR is below the sharpening in the top to bottom workflow ... ?

Shouldn't one do the NR first and then sharpen?
Title: Detail panel
Post by: scott morrish on March 26, 2010, 12:04:31 pm
I do not know for sure... but i have always assumed it is because noise is easier to see 'after' you have set sharpening levels. Makes sense to me...
Title: Detail panel
Post by: Potus5 on March 26, 2010, 12:18:49 pm
Its because the "sharpening" at this stage in LR is NOT output sharpening - rather you are dealing at this stage with the initial sharpening in Develop post import. Output sharpening [which should be done last - after NR has been addressed] in LR is done either at the "Print" or "Web" modules [for either printer or file format] with the right panel located "Output Sharpening" commands.

So its a judgement call when doing intial import sharpening [which should be used with only modest amounts anyway at thsi stage] whether you do NR first or as the next step. Personally I'm like you and play it safe - doing the NR before I do the imported Develop sharpening. But the debate rages in the LR and other forums [including NAPP's LR and PS discussion forums] whether in doing the intial import sharpening [even if one doesn't use LR at all but rather some other program]  one should do NR first or that it can be done after the initial sharpening. All the professionally done tests I've seen on the various sites concerning the issue are very inconclusive - evidence points both ways!!!!
Title: Detail panel
Post by: Jeremy Payne on March 26, 2010, 12:46:26 pm
Quote from: Potus5
Its because the "sharpening" at this stage in LR is NOT output sharpening - rather you are dealing at this stage with the initial sharpening in Develop post import. Output sharpening [which should be done last - after NR has been addressed] in LR is done either at the "Print" or "Web" modules [for either printer or file format] with the right panel located "Output Sharpening" commands.

So its a judgement call when doing intial import sharpening [which should be used with only modest amounts anyway at thsi stage] whether you do NR first or as the next step. Personally I'm like you and play it safe - doing the NR before I do the imported Develop sharpening. But the debate rages in the LR and other forums [including NAPP's LR and PS discussion forums] whether in doing the intial import sharpening [even if one doesn't use LR at all but rather some other program]  one should do NR first or that it can be done after the initial sharpening. All the professionally done tests I've seen on the various sites concerning the issue are very inconclusive - evidence points both ways!!!!

Thanks for the context.

The more I think about it ... the more I am realizing I don't always do NR first and then sharpen ...

I think in terms of the processing engine, it would probably make sense to apply the NR first and then the sharpening, but in terms of workflow, I guess it isn't that obvious which should go first.
Title: Detail panel
Post by: francois on March 26, 2010, 12:53:16 pm
Quote from: Jeremy Payne
…
I think in terms of the processing engine, it would probably make sense to apply the NR first and then the sharpening, but in terms of workflow, I guess it isn't that obvious which should go first.
Jeremy,
In Lightroom/ACR, you have no control on the processing order of the different adjustments like noise reduction, sharpening, HSL, basic adjustments, curves etc… Because NR panel comes after (or below) Details panel, it doesn't mean that the Lightroom processing engine will use that order.
Title: Detail panel
Post by: Jeremy Payne on March 26, 2010, 12:56:18 pm
Quote from: francois
Jeremy,
In Lightroom/ACR, you have no control on the processing order of the different adjustments like noise reduction, sharpening, HSL, basic adjustments, curves etc… Because NR panel comes after (or below) Details panel, it doesn't mean that the Lightroom processing engine will use that order.

I know ...
Title: Detail panel
Post by: francois on March 26, 2010, 01:03:41 pm
Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I know ...
Ask Adobe that panels could be rearranged to suit your workflow. Maybe for LR 4.0 (along with soft-proofing)?
 
Title: Detail panel
Post by: Jeremy Payne on March 26, 2010, 01:13:31 pm
Quote from: francois
Ask Adobe that panels could be rearranged to suit your workflow. Maybe for LR 4.0 (along with soft-proofing)?
 

That's dangerous ... if you do that, The Schewe will demand that you have built an image processing app comparable to Lightroom before you can be qualified to make such a request ...

... even if you - as I do - manage the design and construction of complex, end-user-driven software for a living ...

;-)
Title: Detail panel
Post by: francois on March 26, 2010, 01:18:53 pm
Quote from: Jeremy Payne
That's dangerous ... if you do that, The Schewe will demand that you have built an image processing app comparable to Lightroom before you can be qualified to make such a request ...

... even if you - as I do - manage the design and construction of complex, end-user-driven software for a living ...

;-)
I understand but throw in a colored Hawaiian shirt with your request and you have 100% chance of success.
 
Title: Detail panel
Post by: Jeremy Payne on March 26, 2010, 01:30:33 pm
Quote from: francois
I understand but throw in a colored Hawaiian shirt with your request and you have 100% chance of success.
 

Ahhhhhhhhh ... yes ... silly me,  I know all about bribing people with product influence ...
Title: Detail panel
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 27, 2010, 05:12:48 pm
Anyone have any tips for this panel?  I've moved off of "floundering" but I'm still not at the point where I actually know what I'm doing with it....
Title: Detail panel
Post by: wolfnowl on March 28, 2010, 01:55:50 am
Quote from: DarkPenguin
Anyone have any tips for this panel?  I've moved off of "floundering" but I'm still not at the point where I actually know what I'm doing with it....
Both Julieanne Kost and Terry White show a little bit of this in their intro to LR3 Beta 2 videos:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/what-s-new-in-li...troom-3-beta-2/ (http://tv.adobe.com/watch/what-s-new-in-lightroom-3-beta/whats-new-in-lightroom-3-beta-2/)

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-p...eta-2-whats-new (http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-podcast-photographers/lightroom-3-public-beta-2-whats-new)

I'm sure there will be more to follow.  NAPP put out some videos when LR3 Beta 1 came out for example.

Mike.