Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: [email protected] on March 25, 2010, 08:44:52 am

Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: [email protected] on March 25, 2010, 08:44:52 am
Sorry for my English

I have problems with the cyan channel on the Epson 9900 I have read some treads regarding this issue. And it seams to be a know issue for Epson. But the technician from Epson (Sweden) said that this problem is printer head related. I don’t think so. I somebody know more about this issue please let me know so that I can inform the technician
[email protected]
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: StevenSzabo on March 25, 2010, 10:56:38 am
had mine cut out on me once, ran a power clean and it cleared up...
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: LeiMeng on March 25, 2010, 12:35:45 pm
Quote from: [email protected]
Sorry for my English

I have problems with the cyan channel on the Epson 9900 I have read some treads regarding this issue. And it seams to be a know issue for Epson. But the technician from Epson (Sweden) said that this problem is printer head related. I don’t think so. I somebody know more about this issue please let me know so that I can inform the technician
[email protected]

Same here, lost my yellow channel completely yesterday.  Went to service mode, did CL1 cleaning 3 times to cure the problem.  

And this happened in the middle of printing. The nozzle check was fine before printing.
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: Mulis Pictus on March 25, 2010, 01:55:34 pm
Quote from: [email protected]
Sorry for my English

I have problems with the cyan channel on the Epson 9900 I have read some treads regarding this issue. And it seams to be a know issue for Epson. But the technician from Epson (Sweden) said that this problem is printer head related. I don’t think so. I somebody know more about this issue please let me know so that I can inform the technician
[email protected]
In my case, the print head replacement didn't help and it is becoming worse. Sometimes happen even between two successive jobs. On various channels, most often on cyan or black channels.

Mulis
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: deanb2010 on March 25, 2010, 02:23:28 pm
My 7900 was dropping the Cyan channel frequently (every nozzle). During printing, after the printer had set idle for a while, even between prints.  It was really random.  I called Epson service and they sent out 2 big boxes of parts.  The tech did not replace the heads or use several of the other parts that Epson sent.  He did replace a few things including the cap & waste system and I believe the autoclean board (AIM board, I believe).  Since that time the printer has been running quite nicely.  On occasion one of the channels will partially drop but a CL1 or CL2 clean takes care of those issues.

Epson service handled the issue very well and I'm quite happy with the printer, however I did buy the extended warranty as any service call on this beast would cost a fortune.
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: Sven W on March 25, 2010, 06:42:11 pm
Quote from: [email protected]
Sorry for my English

I have problems with the cyan channel on the Epson 9900 I have read some treads regarding this issue. And it seams to be a know issue for Epson. But the technician from Epson (Sweden) said that this problem is printer head related. I don’t think so. I somebody know more about this issue please let me know so that I can inform the technician
[email protected]

I'll e-mail you tomorrow.
We live in the same country, and the Epson LargeFormat community isn't that big here.
My 99 had the same problem, and was fixed under warranty. I think they swaped the Ink Supply Kit(?).

/Sven
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: Mulis Pictus on March 26, 2010, 03:21:31 am
Quote from: Sven W
My 99 had the same problem, and was fixed under warranty. I think they swaped the Ink Supply Kit(?).
Please could you ask your service if that was indeed the part they swapped? I would be very happy to get it fixed as well. These days waiting for the 4th repair in row of the same issue.

Thanks
Mulis
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: Sven W on March 26, 2010, 06:54:08 am
Quote from: Mulis Pictus
Please could you ask your service if that was indeed the part they swapped? I would be very happy to get it fixed as well. These days waiting for the 4th repair in row of the same issue.

Thanks
Mulis

I talked with the technician just now, and he will e-mail me the maintenance order.
But he said that it was called "The Ink System", but he was on the road and couldn't tell me the exact designation.

/Sven
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: Mulis Pictus on March 26, 2010, 09:16:55 am
Quote from: Sven W
I talked with the technician just now, and he will e-mail me the maintenance order.
But he said that it was called "The Ink System", but he was on the road and couldn't tell me the exact designation.
Thanks for sharing the information. Would you mind to forward me the maintenance order to mulis at mulispictus.cz, once you get it?

Mulis
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: Wayne Fox on March 26, 2010, 09:51:24 pm
Quote from: [email protected]
Sorry for my English

I have problems with the cyan channel on the Epson 9900 I have read some treads regarding this issue. And it seams to be a know issue for Epson. But the technician from Epson (Sweden) said that this problem is printer head related. I don’t think so. I somebody know more about this issue please let me know so that I can inform the technician
[email protected]
I had this problem and Epson USA immediately said it was an ink pressurization problem, sent some parts (I believe pump assembly) but did not replace the head.  Problem solved.
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: dtsiapas on April 19, 2010, 03:14:19 pm
I have also been experiencing the same problem of losing the Cyan channel as well as other channels on my Epson 7900. When i first bought it I had a persistent problem with clogging on the Cyan channel and of course I experienced a lot of unnecessary cleanings due to defective ANC. The Epson service replaced the AID circuit board as well as the cover of the printhead. After that the printer was working flawlessly with occasional clogs.
Lately I have been using the printer almost exclusively on service mode and I noticed that the problem of losing channels occurred again not only on Cyan but also on Light Cyan and sometimes on other channels. This put me in to thoughts that there must me something else causing the clogging which very often occurred in the meantime (maybe 20-30 minutes or even an hour) between prints. So I noticed that in Service mode the printer doesn't go in Standby in the same time as it does when in normal operation, as when Wayne Fox has mentioned in one of his posts. After noticing that I started using my printer in normal mode and I haven't had a missing channel between prints since then and I only boot in Service mode when I have to clean it.

   Dimitris
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: Sven W on April 19, 2010, 04:35:43 pm
Last week I had several "false cloggs", mostly on Cyan. And that was after Epson replaced "Pump, Cap & Assy".
Today they switched the printhead and I cross my fingers..........
/Sven
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: gdwhalen on April 19, 2010, 07:12:04 pm
I am interested in buying either the 7900 or 9900.  Would this issue cause any of you to not buy the printer if you could make that decision over?
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: AlexThiery on April 20, 2010, 03:59:58 pm
Quote from: gdwhalen
I am interested in buying either the 7900 or 9900.  Would this issue cause any of you to not buy the printer if you could make that decision over?

Yes, Yes, Yes
The quality is so good and this issue is manageable  at least for me
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: Sven W on April 20, 2010, 05:37:59 pm
Quote from: gdwhalen
I am interested in buying either the 7900 or 9900.  Would this issue cause any of you to not buy the printer if you could make that decision over?

The 9900 is our 6th largeformat Epson, and the printquality is absolutely unbeatable. The gamut on certain media are almost the double,
compared to a c-print.
So I'm a bit sad about the problems we had, and I hope that they now are solved. And I know for sure, that the people on Epson are a bit frustrated over all the (true) rumours, and have been, at least here in Sweden, very helpful to find solutions to get to the bottom with/solve the problems.

/Sven
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: k_p98 on April 20, 2010, 07:09:00 pm
Quote from: gdwhalen
I am interested in buying either the 7900 or 9900.  Would this issue cause any of you to not buy the printer if you could make that decision over?

Although my experience is with the Epson 4000 and the 4800, which I guess are different than a 7900, I too suffered from complete lost color channels.  On both machines, when a few nozzles were clogged and you did a manual clean, entire color channels would be gone after a clean cycle!  The only thing that cured it was a power clean cycle that used up 100ml of ink.  Now in all fairness, I didn't print all that much, but the printer, as gorgeous as the prints were, was more of a headache.  I loved to print, but hated to turn it on because I knew how much ink I was wasting just to get the thing going.  I now own a Canin iPF6100 and although I've only had it for 3 months, I've very happy with it.  I can't imagine buying an Epson again.  HP, Canon and Epson are pretty much very similar in print performance now.  The differences lie in user experience and the Epsons for me left very much to be desired.
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: Sven W on April 21, 2010, 03:11:29 am
Quote from: k_p98
Although my experience is with the Epson 4000 and the 4800, which I guess are different than a 7900, I too suffered from complete lost color channels.  On both machines, when a few nozzles were clogged and you did a manual clean, entire color channels would be gone after a clean cycle!  The only thing that cured it was a power clean cycle that used up 100ml of ink.  Now in all fairness, I didn't print all that much, but the printer, as gorgeous as the prints were, was more of a headache.  I loved to print, but hated to turn it on because I knew how much ink I was wasting just to get the thing going.  I now own a Canin iPF6100 and although I've only had it for 3 months, I've very happy with it.  I can't imagine buying an Epson again.  HP, Canon and Epson are pretty much very similar in print performance now.  The differences lie in user experience and the Epsons for me left very much to be desired.

Many 4000 and some 4800 had problems with leaking Capping Station, i.e. not  complete air-tight.
Easily fixed.
/Sven
Title: Loosing the cyan chanel on Epson 9900
Post by: AlexThiery on April 21, 2010, 09:29:57 am
I also have a Canon IPF 6100 and I’m pleased with the output. But for my eyes the quality from the Epson 9900 is more pleasing specially on fine art material
/alex