Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Mark F on March 24, 2010, 09:54:59 pm

Title: Any birders on this forum?
Post by: Mark F on March 24, 2010, 09:54:59 pm
I enjoy photographing birds but am not a serious birder. I've not been able to identify this bird, which I believe is a heron but does not match any of the photos in my Peterson's or in my Google search. I thought it might be a little blue heron but they have long necks.  The photo was taken this past January in Big Cypress Preserve on Turner River Road.

Does anyone recognize what it is?

Thanks.
Title: Any birders on this forum?
Post by: wthomphoto on March 24, 2010, 10:12:59 pm
Quote from: Mark F
I enjoy photographing birds but am not a serious birder. I've not been able to identify this bird, which I believe is a heron but does not match any of the photos in my Peterson's or in my Google search. I thought it might be a little blue heron but they have long necks.  The photo was taken this past January in Big Cypress Preserve on Turner River Road.

Does anyone recognize what it is?

Thanks.
My wife, who is a serious birder, thinks this is indeed a little blue heron, probably a first year immature.  They can draw their neck in like in the photo.
Title: Any birders on this forum?
Post by: Ken Bennett on March 25, 2010, 07:43:01 am
It's an adult little blue heron. All herons can pull their necks in like that, which can be confusing.

Edit: First year little blue herons are actually white. Given their size, they are often confused with Snowy Egrets and white-morph Reddish Egrets (the bills and feet are used to tell them apart, but even then it's sometimes very difficult). They are patchy white and blue in the spring the next year, and are fully blue by that summer.
Title: Any birders on this forum?
Post by: Mark F on March 25, 2010, 08:40:36 pm
As hard as I look (I have a series of photos of this bird), I cannot see any trace of the long neck pulled in under the feathers. Amazing.

Thanks for your help.