Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Michael Boyd on March 24, 2010, 07:13:46 pm

Title: Vivid Light Magenta Ink Usage on the 4880
Post by: Michael Boyd on March 24, 2010, 07:13:46 pm
I have a 4880 that I replenished with ink a few months back. It was the first time I installed ink cartridges after using up the ones that came with the printer. Since I have replaced the cartridges (which didn't happen all at once, obviously) I have mostly done "Black Only" printing... mostly documents and office stuff, and have printed a few 13x19 photographs... both color and toned B&W.

My issue is that this printer appears to be dumping the Vivid Light Magenta into the maintenance tank. I do not know this for certain, but the thing is that the VLM ink level is showing the exact same amount as the Photo Black ink level... and I have primarily done "Black Only" printing. Both the Photo Black and the Vivid Light Magenta were replaced at the exact same time as well, which only furthers my suspicion.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks...
Title: Vivid Light Magenta Ink Usage on the 4880
Post by: Michael Boyd on March 25, 2010, 06:16:04 am
Anyone?
Title: Vivid Light Magenta Ink Usage on the 4880
Post by: David McCaughan on March 25, 2010, 07:33:18 am
Michael,
My intuition is that you may be on to something. I use my 4880 in spurts, using an inordinate amount of ink just fort nozzle checks and cleaning. The VLM is always ahead of all the others by 25% or so. Unfortunately I have not recorded any of my exact ink issues, or gone though 4 sets of ink yet. If the printer sits, it's always the yellow, or one of the magenta patches that has a clogged head, the printer may be using more of one color in the cleaning/shutdown process to try and compensate. Again. it's more of an impression than an objective measurement.
Dave
Title: Vivid Light Magenta Ink Usage on the 4880
Post by: Michael Boyd on April 01, 2010, 10:34:13 pm
Thanks for your thoughts David. Since I last posted I began to wonder if even when printing in "Black Only" mode, if there is actually a number of colors being laid down to make the black more neutral... with VLM being one of the main components. Just a wild guess on my part.

I am going to contact Epson when I get time and see what is going on. I am wondering if there is a firmware update or something that addresses this. I did a search on this forum and found a couple of similar issues concerning older printers and the responses were mostly about a firmware update.

Anyone else have any similar experiences?
Title: Vivid Light Magenta Ink Usage on the 4880
Post by: Doombrain on April 09, 2010, 09:21:24 am
Epson printers and other make rarely print with just black ink.

If you're using the advanced b&w mode you're using the blacks, Y, LM and LC. Printers will also consume small amounts of ink during their cleaning, setups and power down processes.
Title: Vivid Light Magenta Ink Usage on the 4880
Post by: Michael Boyd on April 21, 2010, 08:02:01 pm
Quote from: Doombrain
Epson printers and other make rarely print with just black ink.

If you're using the advanced b&w mode you're using the blacks, Y, LM and LC. Printers will also consume small amounts of ink during their cleaning, setups and power down processes.

Thanks Doombrain...

I am guessing that we are printing other colors in the "Black" mode as well. I know that they are definitely being used; Vivid Light Magenta going the fastest. It could be possible that the black inks are green shade and the printer lays down more light magenta to make it more neutral...

I have still not contacted Epson on this. I cannot find anything in the manual that addresses this either. It simply says to only use the "Black Mode" for line art and non photographic images, which led me to believe that the printer didn't worry about making it's black ink perfectly neutral and that it was more of an "economy" mode.
Title: Vivid Light Magenta Ink Usage on the 4880
Post by: CliveFlint on May 06, 2010, 12:51:05 pm
You can check usage for the last few prints to see how much ink has been used for all the different colours.

Quote
I am guessing that we are printing other colors in the "Black" mode as well. I know that they are definitely being used; Vivid Light Magenta going the fastest. It could be possible that the black inks are green shade and the printer lays down more light magenta to make it more neutral...

I have still not contacted Epson on this. I cannot find anything in the manual that addresses this either. It simply says to only use the "Black Mode" for line art and non photographic images, which led me to believe that the printer didn't worry about making it's black ink perfectly neutral and that it was more of an "economy" mode.