Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: DanPBrown on March 24, 2010, 06:52:39 pm

Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: DanPBrown on March 24, 2010, 06:52:39 pm
It took this over the weekend, c&c appreciated.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com (http://www.danbrownphotography.com)
(http://www.danbrownphotography.com/galleries/albums/userpics/Approach_Of_The_Visitant~1.jpg)
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: button on March 24, 2010, 09:19:36 pm
That's an engaging shot, Dan.  You used an ultra ultra wide to great effect.  I like the juxtaposition of the curves and the straights, as well as the blues and yellows.  Well done!

John
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: jasonrandolph on March 24, 2010, 09:52:53 pm
Well-executed shot!  The symmetry makes for an engaging composition.  Although I'm mainly a B & W man, I really like the colors you have here.  Nice job.
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: Dick Roadnight on March 25, 2010, 09:10:32 am
The uncorrected artificial light and the hard shadows might annoy a mixed lighting interior specialist, but these roof colours go well with the yellow on the floor.

The symmetry looks OK,
The perspective distortion might annoy an architecture specialist, but, as a pictorial shot, it works...
an asymmetrical shot using
yaw for DOF and
shift for perspective control and
layered shots individually white balanced for daylight, artificial and fill-flash
would have been technically preferable, but ultra-wides with image circle for sufficient movement are expensive.

I hope that in a few weeks I will be kitted up to do this type of shot the way I would like to... but, pictorially, it might not look any better!
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: hsmeets on March 25, 2010, 09:48:24 am
I have a somewhat more classical 'taste' and i would have used a T/S lens to keep verticals straight, for me (personal taste, so take no offence) the wide angle effect is too much. I associate these kind of hallways rather with things like : quiet, peace of mind, contemplation. But I get a restless feeling of this image.
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: Ken Bennett on March 25, 2010, 01:07:45 pm
I do like the color, but the strong lines and contrast make a great black and white image.
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: wolfnowl on March 25, 2010, 01:32:59 pm
Hmmm... could go either way.  There are enough strong lines  to make a good black and white, but in this case I think I'd prefer the colour.  Well done either way.

Mike.
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: DanPBrown on March 25, 2010, 05:30:01 pm
Thanks for the opinions. Here is a different view, straighter lines.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com (http://www.danbrownphotography.com)
(http://www.danbrownphotography.com/galleries/albums/userpics/_DPB6253.jpg)
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: Dick Roadnight on March 25, 2010, 06:01:56 pm
Quote from: DanPBrown
Thanks for the opinions. Here is a different view, straighter lines.
Dan
Looks as if this was done by pointing the camera and lens horizontally, rather than using T/S or a view camera, and the ceiling center decoration is a focal point in the first picture.

I think this is a classic example of when a "full works" digital view camera has major benefits, and yes, when I have an ultra-wide I will post a picture like this ¿perhaps of the Gloucester Cathedral cloisters?
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 31, 2010, 10:55:56 am
Nice shot !
I'd imagine some beautiful woman around in the scene,
like from a story from "Stories from 1001  nights"....
Title: Opinions wanted
Post by: GrantKaye on April 02, 2010, 05:31:08 pm
I like the shot as well. Very crisp, and engaging lines. That being said, I prefer the crop you made in the second version. I found the ceiling X to be distracting from the way the "hallway" drew my eye into the image.