Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: TJO on March 18, 2010, 04:33:48 pm

Title: Sharpening Exports
Post by: TJO on March 18, 2010, 04:33:48 pm
What would be the best sharpening to use for Jpegs to a web site that offers printing?  I convert RAW to Jpeg and sharpen for screen rather than print.  The website (Zenfolio) offers printing from Mpix.  I've heard conflicting reports on the amount (if any) sharpening Mpix applies to the print.  I figure by sharpening the Jpeg for screen I'm taking a less aggressive approach and if they don't add any output sharpening at least the there will be some applied to the final print.
Title: Sharpening Exports
Post by: Schewe on March 18, 2010, 07:06:43 pm
The Lightroom Screen and Print sharpening are just that...you won't be getting optimal sharpening for print if you export with Screen. You need to find out for a fact whether or not any output sharpening is being applied by your service provider. If it is, don't apply any output sharpening on export. If it isn't apply the correct output sharpening for printing: Print (and test to see if Standard is optimal for you, it is for me).
Title: Sharpening Exports
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 18, 2010, 09:08:52 pm
Quote from: Schewe
The Lightroom Screen and Print sharpening are just that...you won't be getting optimal sharpening for print if you export with Screen. You need to find out for a fact whether or not any output sharpening is being applied by your service provider. If it is, don't apply any output sharpening on export. If it isn't apply the correct output sharpening for printing: Print (and test to see if Standard is optimal for you, it is for me).

Actually I used the "standard sharpening" test to see if I was doing capture sharpening correctly.  It looks to have worked as I seem to be doing less over sharpening these days.  (And once again LR is worth the price of admission just to get the friggen print module.  Qimage can .)