Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: reburns on March 18, 2010, 11:53:07 am
-
Hi -
I'm new to the Hyperdrive UDMA, and wondering what is a practical planning limit of the battery life in terms of GB of photos transferred. I'm planning a Haiti NGO trip off-grid and wonder if I need to get a spare battery. A real downside of the Hyperdrive is that it takes screwdriver disassembly to replace the battery.
Thanks so much. - Ralph
-
I'm new to the Hyperdrive UDMA, and wondering what is a practical planning limit of the battery life in terms of GB of photos transferred. I'm planning a Haiti NGO trip off-grid and wonder if I need to get a spare battery. A real downside of the Hyperdrive is that it takes screwdriver disassembly to replace the battery.
I love this pup. I will charge when hooked via USB to a laptop. I never even took the power supply. At the end of each day, downloading the files from the unit to my Macbook Pro, it charged itself.
-
Worst case situation is to be off-grid for 8 days at a time. I'll only need to download a CF card once each day since I'll primarily be occupied with the rebuilding effort.
-
Worst case situation is to be off-grid for 8 days at a time. I'll only need to download a CF card once each day since I'll primarily be occupied with the rebuilding effort.
2nd link on google claims 250GB on single charge. I've never done any tests on my Hyperdrives, but they go on for tens of gigs for sure.
-
2nd link on google claims 250GB on single charge. I've never done any tests on my Hyperdrives, but they go on for tens of gigs for sure.
As mentioned in my review:
I downloaded and then formatted the internal drive four times with this one card of nearly 4GB of images, and the battery indicator didn’t change from a full-power status.
http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2009/1...ive-colors.html (http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2009/11/review-sanho-hyperdrive-colors.html)
-
Worst case situation is to be off-grid for 8 days at a time. I'll only need to download a CF card once each day since I'll primarily be occupied with the rebuilding effort.
While I suspect that a single charge would work (from my own use) there are two extra alternatives that might help you.
First: Buy a second battery and charge it prior to the trip as a backup.
Second: Buy the AA battery adaptor and use Lithium AAs as the backup. Four or eight batteries wouldn't weight that much and would provide peace of mind.
Dave