Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Gemmtech on March 17, 2010, 02:30:55 pm
-
I was wondering, how do others here with large format printers i.e 24", 44" and 60" handle GD and bronzing? I am using the 3880 and for me it's distracting enough that I coat my prints with a lacquer finish, not a huge deal, but I would like the darn printer to apply a clear coat on each print for me. As the part that shows GD gets larger than I can imagine even more of a distraction, so how do you solve that issue?
-
so how do you solve that issue?
By printing on canvas for the really big ones. Actually it's more to do with handling and mounting, but I don't miss gloss differential one little bit.
-
You are right with a glossy or semi gloss it's a problem and it gets worse IMO as the print gets larger. As already pointed out, you can print on canvas, which I do, and
that takes care of the GD and bronzing. Actually I don't see the bronzing with prints from the 7800 or 9880 as much as the GD which can be terrible depending on the subject.
I have started printing on matte papers more which removed both problems. Currently I use mainly Optica 1 and Moab Entrada. Still waiting to get some of the new
Epson Hot Press bright paper.
As far as a fix, the only thing I know is to use a HP printer, which coats the paper (I use Epson) or spray the print afterwards. I use print shield on all my Luster prints
and it helps with the GD problems and adds a bit of protection to the print. Lamination will also fix the problem but I don't like the look. It is a distracting problem. Most of the
larger prints I hand have Non Glare glass, which also helps to diffuse the effect.
Paul Caldwell
-
The dirtball solution is to be sure nothing is brighter than about 251:251:251 in your print, so there is no place without at least some ink coating.
-
The dirtball solution is to be sure nothing is brighter than about 251:251:251 in your print, so there is no place without at least some ink coating.
I've tried this and if I remember correctly I had to take it down to the 240s and then it loses that nice blown look, like a bright sun or waves crashing down on the rocks or a bright white string on a football.
-
I've seen minimal bronzing with Harman FbAl and ultrachrome inks. It worked well on an Epson 2400 and does even better on the 9900. You have to look very hard in just the right light to see it. The down side with the 9900 is that the surface of the paper is so soft the roller will leave indentations if left in for more than a minute or so. Although you can roll it back, the most practical solution is to bite the bullet and cut a few inches off the leading edge just before printing. I've put them next to my silver prints on Agfa and Ilford papers and the Harman prints are spectacular.
And more about a recent issue with the 9900 in a few days
Paul
-
By printing on canvas
+1
-
I've found the Harmon to look so much like rc paper as to not be worth paying for it. And the Epson inks do a good job on rc media.
With the HP Z series you do have a gloss enhancer channel to remove the gloss differential and bronzing. On some media however, I even need to spray the Z prints with a uv spray like Premier Art or Moab. That takes care of it, especially for black and white darkroom simulation prints.
I've seen minimal bronzing with Harman FbAl and ultrachrome inks. It worked well on an Epson 2400 and does even better on the 9900. You have to look very hard in just the right light to see it. The down side with the 9900 is that the surface of the paper is so soft the roller will leave indentations if left in for more than a minute or so. Although you can roll it back, the most practical solution is to bite the bullet and cut a few inches off the leading edge just before printing. I've put them next to my silver prints on Agfa and Ilford papers and the Harman prints are spectacular.
And more about a recent issue with the 9900 in a few days
Paul
-
I was wondering, how do others here with large format printers i.e 24", 44" and 60" handle GD and bronzing? I am using the 3880 and for me it's distracting enough that I coat my prints with a lacquer finish, not a huge deal, but I would like the darn printer to apply a clear coat on each print for me. As the part that shows GD gets larger than I can imagine even more of a distraction, so how do you solve that issue?
Z series large format printers from HP have a Gloss Enhancer 'ink' which coats over the entire image which pretty much eliminates gloss differential and bronzing in my experience. Great stuff, I buy it in bulk now, my most used ink cartridge.
-
I was wondering, how do others here with large format printers i.e 24", 44" and 60" handle GD and bronzing? I am using the 3880 and for me it's distracting enough that I coat my prints with a lacquer finish, not a huge deal, but I would like the darn printer to apply a clear coat on each print for me. As the part that shows GD gets larger than I can imagine even more of a distraction, so how do you solve that issue?
What paper are you printing on? I just haven't seen an issue with the papers I'm using on my 7900, especially bronzing.
-
What paper are you printing on? I just haven't seen an issue with the papers I'm using on my 7900, especially bronzing.
I have tried a lot of different papers, most from Epson, Luster, Semi-gloss, Exhibition fiber (very minimal), Premium Semimatte, Hahnemuhle, Ilford, Harman