Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Payne on March 16, 2010, 01:50:24 pm

Title: Started scanning old prints ...
Post by: Jeremy Payne on March 16, 2010, 01:50:24 pm
I'm starting to look at my old film and slides ... and started scanning some old prints.

This was shot and printed in 1986 - tri-x and seagull g3 paper shot with an Olympus OM2s and the 50/1.4.

I'm loving how the scans look - the prints held up great.

Eventually, I will drum scan some selects ... this will take forever ...

Here's #1 ...

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4438812890_ca7ebc3098_o.jpg)
Title: Started scanning old prints ...
Post by: fredjeang on March 16, 2010, 01:59:01 pm
Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I'm starting to look at my old film and slides ... and started scanning some old prints.

This was shot and printed in 1986 - tri-x and seagull g3 paper shot with an Olympus OM2s and the 50/1.4.

I'm loving how the scans look - the prints held up great.

Eventually, I will drum scan some selects ... this will take forever ...

Here's #1 ...

 
Nice shot Jeremy.
The Zuiko 50mm 1.4 is a pearl. I've started with OM, there were truly fantastic cameras and lenses.
I think one of those zuiko in a Pen digital might be very nice indeed.
You directly scanned the print no?

It makes me want to come back to film sometimes, just for the look and the fun.

Cheers,

Fred.
Title: Started scanning old prints ...
Post by: Jeremy Payne on March 16, 2010, 02:17:36 pm
Thanks, Fred!  Yes - these are 300dpi scans of fiber baryta prints on a flatbed scanner using Vuescan.

Here's another ...

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2784/4438813104_c55c8bc682_o.jpg)

PS ... Just 'cause I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't like you!
Title: Started scanning old prints ...
Post by: Jeremy Payne on March 16, 2010, 02:26:12 pm
one more ...

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4438905692_58bf410606_o.jpg)

and here's a scanned negative ... didn't work as well ... those I will get scanned out at Duggal ...

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4438698052_b948262921_o.jpg)
Title: Started scanning old prints ...
Post by: fredjeang on March 16, 2010, 02:44:12 pm
I truly like these pictures.
The last one I think would deserve a Drum Scan, it might be spectacular!
This is great to see you in that process of scanning old work, and it is really rewarding.

Hope you will put these works on your web site.

Best  regards,

Fred.
Title: Started scanning old prints ...
Post by: RSL on March 16, 2010, 03:23:41 pm
Jeremy, They're all good but the first one is more than good. It's not often you can catch that kind of thing in a kid's face. Bravo!
Title: Started scanning old prints ...
Post by: Jeremy Payne on March 16, 2010, 03:37:16 pm
Quote from: RSL
Jeremy, They're all good but the first one is more than good. It's not often you can catch that kind of thing in a kid's face. Bravo!
Thank you - that is one of my all-time favorites as well ... there's a reason it was the first one to get finished!

I'm on the prowl for that negative and a few others I remember but for which I have no prints - I just got back from my friend's studio with a 12x18 inch light box and loup ... the hunt begins ...

Title: Started scanning old prints ...
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on March 31, 2010, 10:25:28 am
Quote from: RSL
Jeremy, They're all good but the first one is more than good. It's not often you can catch that kind of thing in a kid's face. Bravo!
+1