Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: braeburnboy on March 14, 2010, 08:40:21 pm
-
I have been looking at getting a Litepanel (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/608411-REG/Litepanels_LP1_BCF_1X1_Bi_Color_Variable_Color.html) LED floodlight (3200K-5600K Variable 100-0% Dimming) from B&H and using it for both print eval and studio shooting lighting
my thought was that this would let me adjust the lighting color temp when looking at a proof so it would mimic the customer's lighting where the print would be displayed
Does anyone have experience with print evaluation lighting or studio work using these LEDs ?
-
I have been looking at getting a Litepanel (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/608411-REG/Litepanels_LP1_BCF_1X1_Bi_Color_Variable_Color.html) LED floodlight (3200K-5600K Variable 100-0% Dimming) from B&H and using it for both print eval and studio shooting lighting
my thought was that this would let me adjust the lighting color temp when looking at a proof so it would mimic the customer's lighting where the print would be displayed
Does anyone have experience with print evaluation lighting or studio work using these LEDs ?
What I have seen of LED lights is that there still is no continuous spectrum in the light, even compared to the semi-continuous fluorescents and compact fluorescents spectrum. The LED floodlights are made for a high output level, light weight, relative low energy use and small size. The compromise is made somewhere else.
met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla
Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)
-
What I have seen of LED lights is that there still is no continuous spectrum in the light, even compared to the semi-continuous fluorescents and compact fluorescents spectrum. The LED floodlights are made for a high output level, light weight, relative low energy use and small size. The compromise is made somewhere else.
met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla
Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)
Thanks for the reply Ernst
When you say "continuos spectrum" do you mean the light lacks full range so if i shot a white piece of paper and looked at the histogram it would show up uneven? I think the LED's are orange-yellow or red green but they do definitely say Bi-color
The Litepanel "features" say - "Shift from 3200K or 5600K or anywhere in between with the turn of a knob." they are floods so they are designed for studio work
that's why I was posting for some feedback from users - even though they are pricey i thought - must be good?
anyone else used these?
-
Thanks for the reply Ernst
When you say "continuos spectrum" do you mean the light lacks full range so if i shot a white piece of paper and looked at the histogram it would show up uneven? I think the LED's are orange-yellow or red green but they do definitely say Bi-color
The Litepanel "features" say - "Shift from 3200K or 5600K or anywhere in between with the turn of a knob." they are floods so they are designed for studio work
that's why I was posting for some feedback from users - even though they are pricey i thought - must be good?
anyone else used these?
Try to find a decent spectral graph of the lamp and a CRI quote with the CRI % per color. For 3200K and 5600K. I am interested in LEDs but so far they lack in color fidelity.
Read the Wiki pages on Light Emitting Diodes and check this:
http://www.olino.org/us/ (http://www.olino.org/us/)
http://www.olino.org/us/ov/lamps (http://www.olino.org/us/ov/lamps)
http://www.olino.org/us/articles/2010/02/1...te-glass-update (http://www.olino.org/us/articles/2010/02/14/lemnis-pharox-iii-milk-white-glass-update)
That is what is available right now. Exotic technology like Quantum dot LEDs are not on the market yet.
Solux halogen and several True Light CFLs/FL lamps have a better spectral distribution.
met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla
Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html (http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html)
-
The LED lights are wildly popular in motion picture and series TV production.
-They are so flat you can put them just about anywhere, like inside cars.
-They do not heat up small spaces, or nearby actors.
-They can run for long periods off small battery packs.
-The variable color temperature is a simply incredible feature.
-They globes do not break from mechanical shock when they are on.
-The globes last for thousands of hours.
The low CRI's are not a big problem for dramatic productions since in the real world light is often not perfect, like from fluorescents and bounce from colored objects. But low CRI's make them unsuitable for studio work in general, and very unsuitable for product photography or art reproduction.
I have some photographs displayed in "for gallery use" LED fixtures in a restaurant. The lamp heads are mixes of blue and yellow LEDS. The color is rather cool, I would say more "stark" than "daylight." I don't like the look at all but the restaurant owner thinks they're the cat's meow.